Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've been wanting a tuner but Im scared to void my warranty in case something happens to my car, not sure if its worth the risk. But then I thought of something and was wondering if it would even work, so here's my idea.

Buy another ECU and have it programmed for the car at ford, tell them the old one was stollen or something if they ask. Keep the old one after you tune it, and have it for the fun and just taking the car out, then if something happened, slap on the new ECU that you had programmed at ford (since its the one they have on file) and when you take the car in, it should read that no tunes have been on it because the new ECU wasn't the one with the tunes on it right? So basically have 2 ECUs, one thats tuned, that you run on the car daily, and a second, the one you buy from ford that is untouched and can be put back on the car if something ever did happen to it. Therefore keeping your warranty in tact even if the tune on the old ECU caused the problem...? I'm sure there's a way for them to tell, but my devious little mind just can't help but wonder if that would work lol I mean if it would work, and you could find a cheap ECU for $500-600.. That's a hell of an insurance policy for so cheap IMO

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Sounds like a lot of trouble just to f*** Ford. I highly doubt you'll find an ecu anywhere near that price.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Don't think it's that easy, herd ppl say you can't do that.. Secondary memory? Idk for sure.. Someone can chime in because its been discussed before.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I don't really plan on doing it, but I can't help but wonder if it would work. They may have a secondary memory, I can't possibly be the first person to think of this lol I'm sure the guys at ford saw this idea coming and planned ahead somehow

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
You still have the PATS system to deal with. And why would you try and defraud a company in the first place? If you're worried about warranty then just leave the car stock.

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
^ this

And if they to through the trouble of asking you what happened to your ecu wouldn't you think that they would keep it serialized or at the very least do something to out your new ecu code in their system? Then they would know you switched them anyways

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Sounds like a lot of trouble just to f*** Ford. I highly doubt you'll find an ecu anywhere near that price.
^ this

And if they to through the trouble of asking you what happened to your ecu wouldn't you think that they would keep it serialized or at the very least do something to out your new ecu code in their system? Then they would know you switched them anyways
All true, but good idea OP, I like the thinking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts