Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on picking up the 165cc AFR heads and am I wrong in thinking that I'll need a custom tune? And also will stock injectors and pump keep up with these heads?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Ewokjax95 said:
I'm planning on picking up the 165cc AFR heads and am I wrong in thinking that I'll need a custom tune? And also will stock injectors and pump keep up with these heads?
It's 50/50 , when I did my motor , HCI swap I had a custom tune done, at first I staid with my 24lb injectors , but I maxed out the cycle on them and had to go to 30lb injectors !

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WhiteCobra94 said:
It's 50/50 , when I did my motor , HCI swap I had a custom tune done, at first I staid with my 24lb injectors , but I maxed out the cycle on them and had to go to 30lb injectors !
What kind of power did you make on that HCI setup? And what heads, intake and cam did you use? I'm trying to preconfigure a setup I want to build soon. Trying to make 400-450hp which seems doable.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Ewokjax95 said:
What kind of power did you make on that HCI setup? And what heads, intake and cam did you use? I'm trying to preconfigure a setup I want to build soon. Trying to make 400-450hp which seems doable.
My setup is 302 bored to a 308, Edelbrock Performer heads, edelbrock performer intake ported / polished , trickflow stage cam with 1.6 rockers and all supporting mods .

I dynoed at 310 rwhp

The motor is n/a setup

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Ewokjax95 said:
If your looking for 400-450 rwhp go 331 or 347 stroker with good heads cam and intake,

My brothers 91lx dynoed at 424rwhp, and he has a forged 347 stroker shortblock, AFR 225 heads , Anderson Cam and HolleySystem Max II intake

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
No you should not need a custom tune.
You may however need/want to upgrade your MAF, injectors & fuel pump to take advantage of the better air flow capabilities if you have the supporting intake manifold and exhaust mods.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would like to make that power without taking out the motor tho. I would of thought full bolt on and HCI would have made 350 to the wheels tho? And MAF, injectors, and pump would be the supporting mods I need I suppose. Turbo seems the way to go. Maybe HCI intake with boost brothers kit on low boost? At that point I definitely need a tune tho.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
I would like to make that power without taking out the motor tho. I would of thought full bolt on and HCI would have made 350 to the wheels tho? And MAF, injectors, and pump would be the supporting mods I need I suppose. Turbo seems the way to go. Maybe HCI intake with boost brothers kit on low boost? At that point I definitely need a tune tho.
If you had gotten the Trick Flow HCI kit, it would make around 350 HP at the crank with supporting mods.
Trying to piece together an HCI kit just never works out as well as using the manufacturer specified pieces. Making 350 HP at the tires is going to be a bit harder to do. A turbocharger will do it easily to be sure, but you will need more supporting mods to support the turbo too and then tuning is critical. You don't even want to open it up even a little bit until it has been properly tuned, or you will break something.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Ewokjax95 said:
Also the stock 5.0 only makes 165-180rwhp

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I guess I'll get to HCI status and see what happens. If that doesn't satisfy me ill think about turbo. How much does HCI from trick flow cost?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see the twisted wedge top end kit on their website but no price. Anyone know where to buy it? Summit maybe?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Did not know about the discount. Cool! I use Resto for the simple fact that I only live like 30 miles from there. No waiting on the mail man like a little kid!:D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found it on Summit for the 2600 bucks you said. Looks like that's the next performance addition to the motor for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's what I keep hearing. There's too much gain from a good set of heads for me not to get them and the fact that it comes with upper and lower intake and cam to match is just awesome!! After I get this suspension stuff done, that top end kit is goin in for sure!!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The Trick Flow top end package is a good way to go for a solid/smooth overall power gain. Although, keep in mind that you will need a tune to maintain smooth drive-ability manners. Not to mention get the most out of the performance parts!

Shane

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
The Trick Flow top end package is a good way to go for a solid/smooth overall power gain. Although, keep in mind that you will need a tune to maintain smooth drive-ability manners. Not to mention get the most out of the performance parts!

Shane
Shane, I have a question for you; Do you really think he will need a tune?

I have a heavily modified engine in my 86 GT with the 89 MAF conversion and it has never needed a "tune" (meaning chip or tuner). It made 405 HP on an engine dyno and it runs perfectly with no outside/extra tuning.

Maybe the 94-95 ECUs need it, because I do know they are more sensitive to air flow changes?

I'm only asking to clear up some confusion on my part, as to what is really needed on the 94-95 models. Thanks :good:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts