Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm looking to make 600-ish hp. Is it cheaper to do the 4v dohc 4.6 v8 swap or shuld I just work on my v6 and turbo it. Also which wuld be more reliable at that power range? Thank you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1slosix said:
if you're still wanting 600 then the 4v is the better option...
Ya I am. I want to be competative in drags as well as dominate in the corner races. Not all boys will put down money on corner races. But most in my area r just itchin to drag race (even though its not my fave style).

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
there's a large difference in how the two types of competition are setup. building for one will hurt the overall performance in the other...the middle ground setups don't really dominate in either but just perform ok

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1slosix said:
there's a large difference in how the two types of competition are setup. building for one will hurt the overall performance in the other...the middle ground setups don't really dominate in either but just perform ok
Oh ok. I didn't realize it wuld make that much difference. So if I build my car for as u put "corner carving" and I have say the 600-ish hp I want and I drag race a guy. If he's got 500-ish he wuld whip me?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
yes if his setup is built for drag...and 600 is a lot for corners...right now my sixxer can keep up with my friend '01 500 hp cobra on roads like hte dragons tail all because of suspension differences and how we're set up. heck i'll leave him behind if i start out in front (its a double yellow so no passing)

hp can mean nothing if it's not being used to the fullest on the ground

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Well first off, let's say this...
The driver mod is the most important.
Secondly the suspension for dragging and corner carving are different, in a corner carving situation, the better car would be the lighter 3.8L mustang or v6 for that matter. We have a very good base for a cornering machine with the v6, you don't need power to corner, unless u have lots of straight aways...

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Secondly the suspension for dragging and corner carving are different, in a corner carving situation, the better car would be the lighter 3.8L mustang or v6 for that matter. We have a very good base for a cornering machine with the v6, you don't need power to corner, unless u have lots of straight aways...
this right here...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1slosix said:
yes if his setup is built for drag...and 600 is a lot for corners...right now my sixxer can keep up with my friend '01 500 hp cobra on roads like hte dragons tail all because of suspension differences and how we're set up. heck i'll leave him behind if i start out in front (its a double yellow so no passing)

hp can mean nothing if it's not being used to the fullest on the ground
What's the dragons tail? If u culd send me a link that wuld be awesome. And what hp do u have? Just so ik what the comparison is? It'll help me with my final decision of v6 or v8.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
xhgwx said:
By driver mod u mean basically the driver that's best at the kind of racing that's happening, correct?

---------- Post added at 02:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 AM ----------

1slosix said:
i'd say i have around 150-160 rwhp

and this is the dragons tail
Wait a sec... u have a new edge... what year is urs?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
it's as intense as it gets...after each new suspension mod i drive 3 1/2 hours to run this road all day long. and each time i get faster and faster on it.

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

By driver mod u mean basically the driver that's best at the kind of racing that's happening, correct?

---------- Post added at 02:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 AM ----------

mine is an '04

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Lol good.
Well... Let me share..
For a fully built 4.2L Stroker
8.8 rear end
Tranny upgrade
Stall
Tuning
And blower of choice(5k)
I was looking at near a 10-12k build... That would put me near 550 rwhp maxed out...

With a 4.6L DOHC swap... Your looking at an expensive engine 3-5k alone, look into about 1k for the tranny, then the time to swap or... Have a shop swap, plus the IRS or solid 8.8... The build could be near 7-8k then power adder and supporting mods to get to 600 HP would also run you another 3-4k so in the end... Both end up pretty expensive... And I know... I hate hearing this term myself...

"Just buy true car with the right engine"
Or
"Just but a v8"

But in all honesty it's true... Very very true...
The v8 platform is cheaper to mod because it's more acceptable to mods, more parts available and not as much custom work(which jacks the price up being custom)

If you do this v8 swap you have to tell your insurance you now have the v8 engine or you could be in trouble for insurance fraud if they ever find out, it's a ****ing hassle...

I say enjoy the v6, maybe drop a few grand into her, make her QUICK but not FAST, and make her a cornering machine...

But do what you want.
Those are my opinions.

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

1slosix said:
i'd say i have around 150-160 rwhp

and this is the dragons tail
Where is that

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 AM ----------

morthis32 said:

Just practice makes perfect pretty much. Launching isnt easy but neither is cornering.
Early apex turn late apex turns ETC...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1slosix said:
it's as intense as it gets...after each new suspension mod i drive 3 1/2 hours to run this road all day long. and each time i get faster and faster on it.

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

mine is an '04
This a track or city/county road? Also u shuld have stock about [email protected]/230-ish [email protected] That's whag my research has showed anyway. U have better ports than my car, better heads, etc. Atm I'm making [email protected]/[email protected] stock.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
when i sold my GT for my sixxer i thought i'd regret it, but i've enjoyed the car..yes the power loss was a huge hit to me when it came to going to the 1/4 at Beech Bend, but i feel it shifts weight better in the corners which is what i enjoy more

---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

This a track or city/county road? Also u shuld have stock about [email protected]/230-ish [email protected] That's whag my research has showed anyway. U have better ports than my car, better heads, etc. Atm I'm making [email protected]/[email protected] stock.
you're talking crank horse power...in the modding world we use rear wheel hp...

if you're sitting at 145hp stock then you're around 110-120 rwhp stock depending on your transmission

btw my '04 is rated at 190ish stock crank

as for where that is..it's a public road between TN and NC...however it has become basically a free road course lol. just remember the cliff sides have no guard rails so if you're car cant handle it and skids you will go off. i've seen it before

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1slosix said:
when i sold my GT for my sixxer i thought i'd regret it, but i've enjoyed the car..yes the power loss was a huge hit to me when it came to going to the 1/4 at Beech Bend, but i feel it shifts weight better in the corners which is what i enjoy more

---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

you're talking crank horse power...in the modding world we use rear wheel hp...

if you're sitting at 145hp stock then you're around 110-120 rwhp stock depending on your transmission

btw my '04 is rated at 190ish stock crank
Ok then I'm not gunna trust where I got my info b4... said that the ratings I gave u were rwhp.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1slosix said:
where were you getting your info? what year do you have...im assuming an sn95 from the way you were talking earlier
1995 single port v6. (Hence y I'm thinking of swapping for the 1995's
single porte/m90. And between wiki and buddies ik.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts