Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys i want to either turbo or supercharge my car.. i wanted to get some opinions.. i want to know about reliability the power differences all the pros and cons... my car is automatic and am wondering if i need a stall converter if i do either one of these.. i thought about buying a spare motor and building that motor up so i know my motor will hold up too

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
Well a built motor is always a plus, it saves you from worrying about it every time you get on the throttle. I personally like turbos better but that's just me. Turbos make more power psi for psi since it isn't driven by the belts, however it needs time to spool up. I honestly don't know about getting a stall kit. If your want good power with a simple install then a supercharger would be your best bet. Centrifugal superchargers are probably the best bang for your buck in the forced induction world.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Getting a new engine and building it from the ground up is the best way to go, but that's if you are really serious and want to carefully plan it all out. You should be prepaired to do a lot of studying, math calculations, and trips the the dyno. If you got the cash, that's a lot of fun. You can also get kits that include everything you will want to beef up that engine, that saves a lot of time and money but takes the fun out of it.
You really don't NEED all of that to use mild superchargers or turbochargers. Personally, I prefer the supercharger because I don't race in a straight line, I rely heavily on low end power. If you need high end power, the turbo is the way to go and will be a bit cheaper, but harder to install. There are turbos that have ways to be pre-spooled before the green light via compressed air, but I hear those are really expensive.
It really comes down to what you plan to do and how much cash you are willing to shell out to get there. If you could give me a ballpark dollar amount, I could be more precise as to what I think you should do.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really dont have a price range once i decide what i want to do im just going to do it.. i was thinking turbo cause i could do it with the stock bottom end.. then when i have a new motor built i could jack up the boost

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have a cobra and I love my s/c. I guess it probably depends on how much horsepower you want really. You can get some massive hp off a turbo but you have it instantly with a s/c.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I do not know if this is true, which is why I ask.

Doesn't an sc kick on at a certain rpm, or throttle position? But it is always engaged to the engine.
A turbo is only working off of exhaust, but does not take away from the engine.

I would go turbo, but sc appears to usually be a better choice for raw power. I would think a turbo would be a better daily driver, and better for the track. Keep in mind this is all speculative, trying to learn :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Supercharger has a "waste gate" too. A s/c will kick In as soon as you put it to the floor. But if your not at full throttle you aren't constantly building boost. I have around 450hp and its my daily driver. No drivability issues in normal driving conditions. I like it because its instant power.

·
Forum Car Trader
1,150 Posts
Twins FTW!!!

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

I've owned and driven both. There is the lag issue but with a 2 step and good tune it's minimal and the boost curve is strong. Why not both lol if $$ wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea why not twin turboed supercharged stang with all kinds of boost lol

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

Frank is your bottom end built running 450 hp

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
sam minnick said:
Yea why not twin turboed supercharged stang with all kinds of boost lol

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

Frank is your bottom end built running 450 hp
The cobras came with a built bottom end from the factory

·
Registered
292 Posts
2003-2004 Cobra is built from the factory with 390hp. Heard stock block can handle 900hp. So to answer your question...yes. I have heard 450 is a safe number on stock mustangs. That's pretty fast too. Gonna blow away your average ricer and give a vette a good run and depending on the year beat it.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
UltArc said:
I do not know if this is true, which is why I ask.

Doesn't an sc kick on at a certain rpm, or throttle position? But it is always engaged to the engine.
A turbo is only working off of exhaust, but does not take away from the engine.

I would go turbo, but sc appears to usually be a better choice for raw power. I would think a turbo would be a better daily driver, and better for the track. Keep in mind this is all speculative, trying to learn :)
Twinscrew supercharges are the only supercharger that provides instant boost, centrifugal superchargers have lag just like turbos

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
450 to 500 would be great anymore than that i think you loose driveability well more then you already lost getting those numbers.. i want a car thats going to run like crazy

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Did yous hear anything bad on on3 perfotmance turbo kits

·
Forum Car Trader
1,150 Posts
I've ran the on3 kit if you get it just upgrade the turbo!! 500 isnt enough in a heavier car I would say try 550+ that should get you low 11's with supporting mods

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'd go with a vortech v3 supercharger running 8 psi. I put 2000 miles on my setup and it works great. Just make sure you get a dyno tune from a reliable place. And my car is also automatic and you will not need a new stall converter....just a sct tuner to adjust shift points

1 - 20 of 73 Posts