Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe because i have the x-pipe is why my flows dont get ricey. . they just seem loud and deep all the time.

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Remember guys, one possible explination for the flowmasters getting ricy, could very well be the source of the claim. For example. I hear a lot of people with 99+'s say that they love flows. Wheras most of the complaints for the ricy flomasters are coming from the pre99 crowd.

The explination may very well be the fact that 94-98 mustangs have header style exhaust, whereas 99+'s have an exhaust manifold.

I'm not an expert, but I'm tending to believe that on pre99's the sound is worse than on the manifolded 99+'s.

Some people would say thats bull. But think about it... the headers and exhaust manifold handle exhaust in a very different style. Different components, usually means different outcomes.

It's just a theory. :idea:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Doubt its the headers. they flow pretty much the same just look different.

I got flows and love them, not ricey at all.

If its anything its the camshaft. 94-98's have a meaner cam than 99+.
But i dont think there is that big of a difference between years pertaining to the sound of flows. Evertime i hear them i love them.
Its just certain people's opinions. Some people are to damn opinionative.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think the most overlooked aspect is piping diameter. If you go to large any muffler is going to sound raspy and ricey H or X pipe or not. My MACs stay deep and just seem to rumble...at WOT they simply growl. I had RAVEN mufflers on my 4.3L Vortec in my '94 Chevy 1500 and that was the loudest damned trcuk in all of San Antonio! Sounded good though....miss that truck....don't know why I added that...what was I saying? shouldn't post at 3am...gotta go to bed :oops:

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
actually Evin is right The pre 99 V6 sounds alot nicer stock than a wheezy 99+ and alot has to do with the crappy 99+ exhaust manifolds they flow like #### and they suck. The pre 99 headers especially the 98's are really nice and are good up into the 300 hp range and they do change the tone of the exhaust!!!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The 99+ headers flow pretty much the same, they just look differently.
The 94-98 headers are a work of art from the factory but the 99+ headers flow almost exactly the same.
Both sets of headers are perfect till ~300 hp.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, I have Flows. The longer you have them on your car, the louder and deeper they get. When I first got them (bout a year ago) I hated how they sound on the high end. Now they are beginning to gurgle (like an 8 ) in higher rpm's and REALLY mellow out on take off. There IS a ricey type sound, but it's more akin to the exhaust off a Cobra type R. It's deeper than rice, but would still be cons ricey. If you've ever heard the Cobra R (2000) then you know what I mean. I have NO H or Y pipe, either. Yes, I have tru dual cat backs, and it sounds AWESOME! If hermb22 and the other guys get a chance to come around my way, they can bring a recorder to record the sound. Maybe have a poll on how they sound, btw, I have had SEVERAL people tell me it sounds like a 5.0 on take off! Any stang lover knows it's not the exact same sound, but it sounds great all the same! :mrgreen:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts