Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 98 and 97 v6 mustang, and being 18 working fast food I don't have the cash at the moment to buy my true duals. Was just wondering if taking the exaust off at the Y-pipe would decrease my horsepower, it acceleration?

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Or acceleration*

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
it wouldnt be advisable, its far enough back where you might be ok, but I would recommend not going any shorter than where the stock muffler is, getting a shop to fab up some mufflers and a connection to the Y pipe for true duals should be rather cheap and easy to do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason behind cutting them off right after the y was because I was also looking at some flowmaster force 2 duals that just bolt on to the stock Y-pipe as a cheaper alternative. Idk I just want more of a muscle sound, but didn't want to decrease the HP or acceleration until I get the true duals or the force 2's from AM.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just keep an eye on Craigslist and piece together a real system, the money will be close to the same as hacking something together and the result will be a cleaner install.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I've also heard with a minimal amount of work there could compete with v8's any truth to that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The newer V6' vs the old v8's yes......a 98 v6 vs a 98 GT, not likely. If you like the car, build the suspension, brakes, and body over time and then get a V8 donor car when the time is right. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 302 my dad can do the swap free. I just don't know if I could afford it as a daily driver right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts