Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont kno how many of you kno but i want a manual but i cant buy it new b/c i cant afford one. now i was wondering in a v6 5 spd mustang what are the typical problems that i should look for in the car. im looking for one with about 20k on it or less. now from my experience with my car it should be very reliable but i just want to kno is there any thing i should be looking for?

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
unusual sounds in the diff, unusual sounds when you shift, check the clutch is not worn like its not way to soft, unusual engine sounds

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
yea look for sounds you wont want one that was reamed on every day

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks guys. is it normal for these cars to be hard to shift into 5th and reverse? i have driven a couple of them and all of them i have had a hard time gettin in to 5th and reverse. thanks

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
oaktonarcher said:
ok thanks guys. is it normal for these cars to be hard to shift into 5th and reverse? i have driven a couple of them and all of them i have had a hard time gettin in to 5th and reverse. thanks
The stock shifter sucks major league but it should still shift into gear.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
oaktonarcher said:
I PDI at least one mustang per week - every single manual trans one has been harder to shift into 5 than the other gears, and stiff into reverse

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
oaktonarcher said:
It's shouldn't be hard to shift into them, but sometimes you have to go into a gear to get into a different gear. Like when I go into reverse, I go into 5th first, it lines up the syncros. But when you first sit in the car, push on the clutch pedal and see if you feel any play. If you do it may need some adjusting. If you adjust it, and there's no slack it should shift like a dream. Sometime this slack causes the clutch to not disengage 100% and it takes a while to shift when the RPM's are high. So if you're trying to shift from 1st to 2nd at 5000rpms, you might have too much slack in your cable, or the T/O bearing is screwed, or you have internal tranny problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts