Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Guess what was waiting for me when I got home???

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's kinda reddish brown.

Transmission fluid level is good
Oil level is good
brake fluid could probably be added..

Any ideas?? Since my tranny fluid level looks ok, I'm at a loss right now..

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Your trans fluid will stay looking good until you start it up. Thats why they say to check the fluid while the car is running. The fluid is pumped when the engine is turned on. I'll bet that it's trans fluid... and a lot of it. Can you tell where it came from? where was it dripping from?

And BTW... THATS A LOT OF FLUID!!! :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So how do you top off the tranny fluid?? Pour it down the tube where the dipstick is??

I'm moderately conviced it's the gasket. I first noticed the leak after the snow left and it looks like it's dripping from the seal where the plate is that has all the screws on the bottom of the tranny. I'm guessing the plate is where the filter is.. So should I go to ford, get a new filter and drop the plate, replace the filter and gasket and put it back together?

Again, HTF do you fill the tranny fluid?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Pour it down the tube where the dipstick is
Yup :)

Its a lenghtly process actually.

But if you want to, you CAN change your own trans pan gasket, and while you're doing that, I would suggest changing the trans fluid filter at the same time (which is located in the trans pan if I'm not mistaken).

I've changed trans gaskets before... It's EXTREMELY MESSY!!!! Wear goggles!! 8)

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So worth it to pay a shop $100 or so to take care of it for me?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
99vert said:
So worth it to pay a shop $100 or so to take care of it for me?
Depends... a shop could change it for you in about 4 hours... or you could do it by yourself in about 8 and a lot of headaches and tasty trans fluid... Trust me... it doesnt taste good either ;)

I would take it in personally. I dont have the time anymore to do it myself with my schedule. :( I wish I did :(

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
In his case it might not be so bad, looks like most of it has already leaked out anyhow, whew! Get a pan to catch it, get it on ramps or jackstands. Loosen all of your pan gaskets first, then work one side down more than the others, take all of them out of two opposit ends, then loosen one side pretty good, then take them all the way down on the other, it will drop and all the fluid will come out in a hurry, if not you may have to pry a little with a screw driver, but not usually. Try to stay out of the way if you can! This is the perfect time to do a good mod on your car if you can get the part. either get a drain plug for your current pan or get a pan with a drain plug already in it. It makes it 10X more easy to change your transmission fluid and the filter seldom really gets dirty. However since you had to drop the pan, replace the filter this time.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I had in mind Rick.. But if Evin suggests it's an 8hr process......

Should I just take it to a tranny shop and have a shift kit installed?

Shift kit
filter
gasket
pan/plate with drain plug

??????

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Maybe 8 hours is a little extreme, I'll admit that I went a little overboard. There is about 20 or so bolts from what I remember.

It's not just an easy on and off. But if you have a shift kit.. you may want to take it in anyway

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yeah, good time to get a shift kit put in, no need to waste all that transmission fluid twice!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Might be a good idea to get it in to a transmission shop and make sure that just changing the pan gasket is going to cure your leak too. another favorite spot to leak out is around the driveshaft out what is known as the rear main seal.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
But I did a lot of fluid and filter changes in transmission class in Automatic Transmission Class at school, I would do sometime 2 of them in one class and have time to spare in just one afternoon. So no, its no 8 hour thing. But this was ideal conditions with a lift and the right tools and equipment too.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
[No message]

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
[No message]

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
[No message]