Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a question for anyone that has or knows anything about underdrive pulleys for the v6 Mustang. I just ordered the 25% reduction crankshaft pulley and harmonic dampener, but they sent me the 42% reduction, and I know they change the full charge RPM's, and I was just wondering if the 42% would throw me off, especailly since I have a 1400 watt system. I just wanted to know if anyone knows the RPM's before I would hit full charge. I know with teh 25% it was around 950, but I wasnt sure how much the 42% would throw it off. Thanks.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Can you please link us to what your talking about?

Usually companies only sell the 25% UD pulley.

I've actually never heard of a 42%

I know of a 50% but that was special ordered by justin on v6p.

And, welcome to the site!
:headbang:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for the welcome, and the site is

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv6asp.htm

I know on there it says it wont effect the charging system, but I had a friend with a neon that threw some UD pulleys on his and messed up his idle, but I was just wondering since they are different cars, and instead of sending it back just throwing it on there if it wont mess anything up.

Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well I own a 25% udpulley, and nothing changed charging wise.

My buddy has the same thing and has basically the same kind of system you described. He has no problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, thanks. I will go ahead and install the 42% and see how it works out. If it doesnt work out for me, I will just take it out and send it back for the 25% but I will post up here after I get it in and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks

·
Registered
941 Posts
i doubt it'll support your stereo system. the 42s will work on a daily driver, but try it and see if it'll put out enough for your stereo.

·
Registered
113 Posts
:mad: i don't see how it will mess up your idle, and you will definitley see an increase in engine operating temp. and decrease in charging. i have a 25% ud pulley and the only difference is an increased operating temp at idle but nothing to worry about...but a 42% i'm pretty sure will show noticable differences.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, I installed the 42% 2 days ago and it hasnt really effected anything. I can pump the stereo system on full and the car idles like normal. I am definately feeling the increase of operating temp at idle, but other than that the car runs great and has a noticable increase in pull in the upper rpm range.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
It'll take longer than a couple days to reduce your battery's
reserve. I would personally get gears and OD alt pulley to
offset the inevitable battery drain that is coming. It could take
weeks but then you will be putting the jumpers on :) fer sure!

·
Registered
38 Posts
you need to get the OD alternator pulley. it is highly discouraged to run pulleys while running a system because of undercharging. order the OD alternator pulley and install it just in case. its only a few bucks so its not like youre gonna be out a lot of money. its a small price to pay for preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the OD alternator pulley would I need to replace the belt of would the tensioner pulley just tighten up the slack and take care of it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone know of any good deals going on for the OD alternator pulleys or is anyone here affiliated with a shop that can get a good deal on one? If not I will just order the one from rpmoutlet at $30. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
or contact Velocity Mustang Performance (Justin)

tell him RGR sent ya!

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
RGR said:
It'll take longer than a couple days to reduce your battery's
reserve. I would personally get gears and OD alt pulley to
offset the inevitable battery drain that is coming. It could take
weeks but then you will be putting the jumpers on :) fer sure!
I agree with RGR on this 100%. With the sound system you have the Alt will not be able charge the battery enough to sustain itself. Like he said get a OD pulley for the Alt and you will be OK !!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts