Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have underdrive pulleys on my supercharged 4.6. I was wondering if having underdrive pulleys would result in the SC spinning slower (resulting in less boost). Or would the pulleys only affect the part that they are attached to?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yes. Underdrives with superchargers are a no no. They slow down the rate of belt spin. Creating less boost. You could just use a bigger pulley on the sc though

·
Registered
648 Posts
t0t4lbl4ck0ut said:
Yes. Underdrives with superchargers are a no no. They slow down the rate of belt spin. Creating less boost. You could just use a bigger pulley on the sc though
Don't know much about superchargers but wouldn't a bigger pulley slow it down even more?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Under drive pulleys are usually a little bit bigger. If you have a SC with under drive pulleys, then just put a little smaller pulley on the SC to get it back up to it's normal speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So just get a smaller pulley for the SC. That sounds simple enough. Does anyone know where I could find a decent set of pulleys to replace my underdrives if I go that route?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I wouldnt run any underdrive othet than steeda which is what i had before running my vortech. All SC manufacturers specifically state not to use underdrives. Its not because of the pressure the belt puts on the pulley but the speed at which accessories are spinning. It slows the water pump causing overheating which is made worse by a SC also slows down alternator which with the added fraw of the SC slows it down even more. Also the speeds of the SC pulley are going to slow down, making power come on slower and creates less boost, totally upsetting the tune. There are probaby more issues, belt wrap, belt lengths ect as well. Actually im not sure if i could have even put my vortech on with the steeda water pump pulley

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I wouldnt run any underdrive othet than steeda which is what i had before running my vortech. All SC manufacturers specifically state not to use underdrives. Its not because of the pressure the belt puts on the pulley but the speed at which accessories are spinning. It slows the water pump causing overheating which is made worse by a SC also slows down alternator which with the added fraw of the SC slows it down even more. Also the speeds of the SC pulley are going to slow down, making power come on slower and creates less boost, totally upsetting the tune. There are probaby more issues, belt wrap, belt lengths ect as well. Actually im not sure if i could have even put my vortech on with the steeda water pump pulley
I was also advised not to use UD pullies, and since I do utilize my Audio System, I did not complain at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts