Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am ready to continue in my mods, and am thinking about an underdrive pulley, but I don't know anything about them. I heard that they are a really good way to get the hp to your wheels. I looked around and I am not sure which one to buy. I was also wondering how hard are they to install, and how exactly do they help.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
not sure exactly how hard they are to install, but I can throw you a link to one of our many sponsors to grab one.

http://www.extremeeffect.com/38Engine.html

Extreme Effects has a good choice of them, plus they have a nice package deal where you can buy a CAI kit plus a pulley in a bundle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, so then should I also get an overdrive pulley as well? I also see alot of pulley sets that say things like 25% reduction and stuff like that, those don't apply to this right?

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Sharpie said:
Cool, so then should I also get an overdrive pulley as well? I also see alot of pulley sets that say things like 25% reduction and stuff like that, those don't apply to this right?
That's what a underdrive pulley is, it takes away the distance the belt has to go. So 25% away from the pulley(s).

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
No problem, if you have questions, ask away.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
I heard if I don't have an overdrive pulley for the alternator, when I get the underdrive pullies, my subs won't run with my headlights... true, or BS?

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
jimmy_beaner said:
I heard if I don't have an overdrive pulley for the alternator, when I get the underdrive pullies, my subs won't run with my headlights... true, or BS?

B.S. The fact is the stock Alternator is a 130 Amp and does pretty good. I wont say it might not dim a bit when you have the stereo cranked up to warp 9+. On the older Mustangs to 93 they had whimpy 80 or 85 amp alternators. That is why they have conversion kits to take our alternators and put them on Fox bodies. You might consider buying a top of the line battery to help out with your sound system

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
that's good to know. My lights dimmed when my subs would hit really hard for awhile, but they had my amp turned up WAY too high. So I turned it down, and yeah, it worked just fine. Does anyone know where I can find some UD pullies cheaper than at EE? $178, and $38 for the pulley, and then who knows how much for the pulley puller.... and yeah. (still a next summer mod in my mind... shift kit first ;))

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Danger Dude said:
On the older Mustangs to 93 they had whimpy 80 or 85 amp alternators. That is why they have conversion kits to take our alternators and put them on Fox bodies. You might consider buying a top of the line battery to help out with your sound system[/color] [/size][/color][/size]
ahh so that explains why my alt can't handle it.. got a link for a trusted conversion kit? My car can't handle headlights/turn signals and radio at idle :cry:

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
MonteCitan said:
ahh so that explains why my alt can't handle it.. got a link for a trusted conversion kit? My car can't handle headlights/turn signals and radio at idle :cry:
What year is your car? As for a battery, I would recommend an Optima!!

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
FYI, 3.8 V6 mustangs have the same alternators as 94-95 5.0's. So if can find a cheap alternator from a v6 mustang it'll work out the same, and are usually pretty cheap on ebay. I got mine for 20 bucks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
also if you lights are dimming like crazy get a capacitor. measured in farads. .5 farads can handle up to 500 watts, 1 farad up to 1000, 1.5 up to 1500 and so on .. a seriously good investment for you electrical system and takes ALOT of strain off your amp, also amps run between 13-14 volts, you battery can only hit 12 and with 10 feet or wiring you loose alot of punch in the system. i put a capacitor in the system i put in my g/f car,a 400 watt pioneer sub, 400 watt amp and a capacitor, and it SLAMS, she turns the bass all the way down, when i drive it i crank it its a good idea for any serious car stereo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts