Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95gt and am planning on getting bbk under drive pullies. I have eliminated the smog pump completely so I have no idea what size belt I will need for this. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
i would STRONGLY advise against ud pulleys. the 5.0 motors almost never function properly afterwards most of the time they create charging issues, and others they create cooling issues. i have seen this over and over and over. if you do decide to get them save your stock pulleys for when you decide to pit them back on. only amrare few get away without issues.

with that said, you can use a string and run it around the pulleys. then simply measure the string for belt length. it works even better if you have an old belt you can cut to length and duct tape together. then you can just go match it up. but i would save your current belt also just incase.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
i would STRONGLY advise against ud pulleys. the 5.0 motors almost never function properly afterwards most of the time they create charging issues, and others they create cooling issues. i have seen this over and over and over. if you do decide to get them save your stock pulleys for when you decide to pit them back on. only amrare few get away without issues.

with that said, you can use a string and run it around the pulleys. then simply measure the string for belt length. it works even better if you have an old belt you can cut to length and duct tape together. then you can just go match it up. but i would save your current belt also just incase.
+1 read lots of bad stories of 5.0s with udps.

·
Banned
1,656 Posts
Though I have underdrives. I'm going to agree with dream on this. I don't want to recommend something that can cause issues
I get along fine with mine 95% of the time unless say I have the heat on and wipers on high If I let it sit at idle voltage is low on everything. In those situations I drive in a lower gear to keep rpms up. Not what I would say most people would recommend.
I'm just not most people!..

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have to say i must be one of the lucky ones cause mine is fine with the uds. I hope i didn't just jinks myself. Lol

Most times u do always hear of ppl having problems with them. Good luck if u decide to get em!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would a higher voltage alternator help because im planning on picking one of those up too. My voltage is unsteady already when turning and such. Thanks for the replies btw. I'm new here

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
Ewokjax95 said:
Would a higher voltage alternator help because im planning on picking one of those up too. My voltage is unsteady already when turning and such. Thanks for the replies btw. I'm new here
some cases it will and some it wont. i tried a 150 amp and it didnt fix it. if you are already having issues with voltage i would defintly stray away

oh and welcome! :)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
If u must have em, I definitely wouldn't buy new. So many people have problems with them, that there's lots of em on Craigslist and eBay.

·
Registered
38 Posts
XXSTEVEO66 said:
Though I have underdrives. I'm going to agree with dream on this. I don't want to recommend something that can cause issues
I get along fine with mine 95% of the time unless say I have the heat on and wipers on high If I let it sit at idle voltage is low on everything. In those situations I drive in a lower gear to keep rpms up. Not what I would say most people would recommend.
I'm just not most people!..
I have those exact issues.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm definitely going to look for a used set first and see if any problems surface. Hopefully it works without a hitch.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
Ewokjax95 said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm definitely going to look for a used set first and see if any problems surface. Hopefully it works without a hitch.
no problem and good luck. please at least save the stock stuff incase you are one of the majority. lol i always see people selling there ud's willing to trade for stockers.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I got the BBK UDPs on. As you guys said there is a slight voltage problem. At idle the interior lights tend to flicker but other than that, they're awesome!! The power increase was worth it IMO. I saved the old belt and pullies just in case. Installation was crazy easy for anyone wanting to do an install tho.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
So I got the BBK UDPs on. As you guys said there is a slight voltage problem. At idle the interior lights tend to flicker but other than that, they're awesome!! The power increase was worth it IMO. I saved the old belt and pullies just in case. Installation was crazy easy for anyone wanting to do an install tho.
I had to switch back to stock pullies because of that reason !

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
Yup. I had to overdrive my alternator pulley to make up for the underdrive crank pulley.

If you are already having a slight issue. It will get worse. Everytime you drive it the voltage may get lower and lower with the alternator not ever being able to get it back up. So it may bite you in the ars one day. But hopefully not. Good luck.

·
Registered
861 Posts
some cases it will and some it wont. i tried a 150 amp and it didnt fix it. if you are already having issues with voltage i would defintly stray away

oh and welcome! :)
What you're talking about is the sn95 alts? the 3g ones, that would have a higher peak current/watt output but the voltage will be the same i.e. in low RPM high draw situations ur gonna get under volts with the udp

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
Billymich said:
What you're talking about is the sn95 alts? the 3g ones, that would have a higher peak current/watt output but the voltage will be the same i.e. in low RPM high draw situations ur gonna get under volts with the udp
Exactly. Also even the higher amp alternators are still designed to spin a certain rpm before they produce.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts