Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all that new that my dipstick tube broke off.

and for those of you that didnt know, my dipstick tube broke of...lol

Anyway, i took her to her apointment. THe bottom is broken into the block and they were going to charge me 580 dollars to fix it. Ha, yea right. :D

Well now to get it out, i gotta drop the oil pan, and everything to get to it.
So ill have a project to do and a big article on it for anyone that has to do it too. lmao. Hope you guys dont have this happen to you too.

bottom line is #### mechanics and their high labor prices and do everything yourself. :-?

·
Registered
941 Posts
580$ for THAT? sheesh.

word about doing everything yourself. who knows how much i've saved total.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Thats alot of money

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
they were probably gonna rip apart the whole engine do to it, thats crazy!

·
Registered
22 Posts
You DO NOT have to drop the pan,Unless the broken piece made it self to the pan.

This is what i did.I used a tap and stuck it into the broken piece,once it was in there good i got some pliers and pulled it out.

DONE!!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
send me the pics in a email.

[email protected]

Also the mechanic said he tried that he said there was nothing to grab onto.

Also how in the fucking world would I go about doing that? take off the headers?
I cant imagine getting my hand down there with plyers and being able to yank that up.
Anyway, i bought the tube today, a whopping $16.95 part is costing me all kinds of problems.
Anyway i stripped the car pretty much today,
Radiator Shroud, rad fan, the starter (that was a fucking ##### to get that top bolt), exhaust at the headers. some tranny bolts, (getting ready to drop it) Just didnt want it to fall on my head. gotta get a jack under it.

Now if i persue the dropping the oil pan idea i gotta rent a hoist, and hoist that engine out a tad. and take the pan off.
Iam thinking of taking the entire engine out for a few days and rebuilding it somewhat. Then sticking it back in.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Charles, I have a hoist sitting in my garage you can borrow... And I won't charge $40/day ;)

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
A nice kick ass one. I bought off Ebay to pull the 2.5L out of my Jeep and get the Cheby 350 into it.. It will handle your engine nicely.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
I also have an engine stand, I just need to wheel it down and dump the old engine into the dumpster.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well i gotta buy a engine stand anyway, i kinda ghetto rigged something like a engine stand. But what iam going to do is buy one before i rip myn out anyway. Casue iwanna pull that other oil pan off of the other motor, and see how i would tap that oil dipstick tube out.
Also how big is that thing?

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
It will take a pickup to move it, or some disassembly to load it into something. It fit in my Grand Cherokee with the seats folded down.

It stands about 5ft tall, and the base is about 3ft x 3ft or so when folded up. Weighs too much for a single person to lift

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well my dad has this old crummy van he never drives. I could take hte rear seats in that out. Think it would fit in the back of a dodge caravan?

Also i may not need it, i removed some stuff and have "kinda" gained access to the dipstick hole i may beable to pry it out. I can feel it with my hand and if i can somehow lift the shaft up a little like a half a inch or even less, i can pry it up the rest of the way... just need to figure out how to get it up i dont have a whole lot of room.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Yeah, we should be able to get it inot a caravan with the back seat removed.

If you want, you can come check it out/pick it up tonigh (if you still need it)

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Anytime this weekend is fine. Friday night - Sunday night

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
When my timing cover gasket went they guys wanted 550, so My dads friend works there, I got it done, for only 50 bucks and a 12 pack of beer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts