Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Huge difference! Autos don't have them btw.. The 3:31 gears are a performance package option and get a lot more pull from a stop and at lower RPM's. Doesn't really effect gas mileage much at all either. Recommend it!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
3.31 are performance pack AND a stand alone option. All cars came with 2.73s unless optioned otherwise, regardless of transmission.

3.31s are a nice, mild increase. Best bang for the buck if you're very mileage conscientious. If you are staying N/A, I'd consider 3.55s too though.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3.31 are performance pack AND a stand alone option. All cars came with 2.73s unless optioned otherwise, regardless of transmission.

3.31s are a nice, mild increase. Best bang for the buck if you're very mileage conscientious. If you are staying N/A, I'd consider 3.55s too though.
what N/A?

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
It depends on your driving requirements. I drive 600 miles a week on the highway, so I went with the 3.31 setup. Great step from the stock arrangement.

If I was driving mostly city, and wanted quick start accelleration, then I would have gone with a taller rear gear.

Only you can decide what's your daily driving? Mostly city? Mostly highway? You want quick off the line starts?

Another thing to keep in mind: anything over a 3.31 is going to require a tuner to alter the speedometer reading. Ford can flash the ECU/PCM if you go with a 3.31. Anything over that will require a tuner to compensate for the speedometer being off.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Exactly... everyone is going to say "3.73!" because it is the go to gearing for a N/A car for maximum acceleration. However, not everyone needs that, nor do some applications warrant it. Going with other options lets you use forced induction better and get better gas mileage. Look at your needs, then go from there.

·
Registered
270 Posts
All depends on your driving habits. Where you drive the most. If you do alot of highway, Id say the 3.31 are a good choice, but if your in the city, those 3.73's are going to make you need new back tires. Which is a good thing. :)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Actually, city driving favors the 3.73s... They help with acceleration that is used in stop and go traffic. People with lower gears see improved city mileage or no change at all. Highway driving is where lower geared cars suffer.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Actually, city driving favors the 3.73s... They help with acceleration that is used in stop and go traffic. People with lower gears see improved city mileage or no change at all. Highway driving is where lower geared cars suffer.
Are you referring to the performance or economical aspect? Because explain to me how 2.73's will suffer on the highway as opposed to 3.73's?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Both. He's not saying 2.73 will suffer on the highway.
Im sorry, but he clearly said, "Highway driving is where lower geared cars suffer." So what did he mean by that if hes not saying 2.73 will suffer. I guess I'm confused, I thought 2.73 were lower that 3.73.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Im sorry, but he clearly said, "Highway driving is where lower geared cars suffer." So what did he mean by that if hes not saying 2.73 will suffer. I guess I'm confused, I thought 2.73 were lower that 3.73.
Haha lower gears meaning gears such as 3.73 3.55 4.10s low in gear not number ratio

I actually call them short gears not low but that's what he meant. Haha

·
Registered
270 Posts
Haha lower gears meaning gears such as 3.73 3.55 4.10s low in gear not number ratio

I actually call them short gears not low but that's what he meant. Haha
Yeah I've always heard them as shorter gears, when he was saying lower, I thought he was referring to the ratio number and that threw me off. ha Thanks for the clarification!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts