Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with income tax refunds 3 months away, I'm planning my next major mod.

Its come down to about 3 choices for my fox.

The fox currently contains a 302 with stock heads and intake but with an e-cam and ported intake. I have the obvious supporting mods for the cam such as tb and full, unrestricted exhaust.

The choices are,

1. AFR 185's with 58 cc combustion chambers, priced around 1500 total new.

2. ON3 performance single turbo kit. with tune, injectors and other misc supporting mods, this is priced around 2000 installed.

3. Paint job and full interior restoration such as new carpet, new seat filling etc. The interior only REALLY needs carpet but I could possibly just take it all out and give it a thorough cleaning. after new carpet, (i'd be doing the work) I'd be willing to pay whats left out of 2 grand for a good paint job to the original color.

These are all with in my budget but I just cant decide.

If I got the heads, I'd probably be able to order a trick flow intake manifold with it as well.

If I got the turbo, I'm only really looking for 400 rwhp because its just a street car and I still have a t5. I know the turbo could EASILY pump out more down the road though.

Thanks for reading, I know this was long.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the turbo idea! How bad is the interior now? In my opinion, and it's not worth much, I would go with the most hp for your buck. That's where your fun is going to come from....not OHH YEYYY LOOK AT MY NEW SEATS....lol

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
New carpet really helped my interior.it was a little bit of a pain having to do cutouts for the shifter,seat bolts,etc.but it is relatively cheap.maybe you could put the heads on there and still afford carpet.
If your paint is in real bad shape then maybe go that route.I made my car pretty first.but that was because my dad is a painter and even had paint so it was free.

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

jacobgrijalvagt said:
I like the turbo idea! How bad is the interior now? In my opinion, and it's not worth much, I would go with the most hp for your buck. That's where your fun is going to come from....not OHH YEYYY LOOK AT MY NEW SEATS....lol
Hey now,I love my seats!lmao.
Nothing like a turbo'ed mustang

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try and take some interiors shots here in the next hour. Like I said, it probably just needs a very good deep cleaning but its not ripped or anything like that. Now the drivers side seat NEEDS to be re-upholstered and re-foamed.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the paint, the clear coat is coming off and it needs some minor body work such as my front left fender. and my rear bumber has warped not to mention i'd love a good 3-4 '' cowl hood.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
You could do the carpet for less then $200 yourself, and do the heads or do the body work. IMO you can't go wrong preserving the looks of your car inside and out. Especially being it sounds like you already have a decent combo

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
I always buy the most expensive stuff when I have the money readily available and then buy the supporting parts as I can.

Example: I bought my SC first while I had the cash in hand from a vehicle sale, then I began saving and chipping away at buying the supporting parts which were all much less expensive. It's easier to come up with the smaller amounts and it's like getting a new self bought present from time to time.:)

That's what works best for me anyhow. :good:

·
Registered
21 Posts
If I could start my cars build all over again, and have all the money I put into it, I ould have gone the turbo route. Once the system is installed, its merely a case of increasing the boost for more power. Later on down the road you can go with an aftermarket blocked stroker and replace the turbo unit itself with something larger. You will jump from a reliable and low MPG 400hp car to a reliable, acceptable MPG 800hp car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts