Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering upgrading the stock speakers on my 1999 v6, would i need to get new wiring or can i just use the existing ones? and whats better 2 way or three way, why?

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
three way gives you clearer sound because you have three seperate speakers handling the different frequencies

you wont need any new wiring, if you buy from crutchfield.com they give you a harness. If not you have to splice the wires.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
For the wiring, you can cut the plugs and wire then up with the supplied wire with the speakers, most come with wire, or order from www.Crutchfield.com and they will send the harness adapters.

A two way speakers is a woofer and a tweeter while the three way is a woofer, tweeter, and super-tweeter. This all depends on what you listen to. Rap is generally more bass riden while rock is more midrange.

The best speaker setup is a component setup, like the Mach 460, where you seperate the tweeter and woofer so you end up with better sound staging.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Yeh.. I have components in my doors...just put them together to make a 2 way speaker basically. Good lows and awesome highs..just need to replace my rear speakers to get the mids I want.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok when installing them, does it matter which of the stock wirers are spliced to the new ones.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Well..it always helps to put the positive speaker wire on the positive speaker terminal...but it will run in reverse too.

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
i dont know about a how to, but first pry up the hard plastic part on the door, where the window and lock buttons are if u have those. There's a small notch in the top of it. Pull that out, and then pull up. You'll have to disconnect the switches from the panel, just a regular old phillips head screwdriver should do it if I'm not mistaken.

After that, pull up on the whole door panel from the inside. The whole thing will lift up and out a little, comes right off. After that, you should have access to the speaker. Might have to move some of that plastic crap on the inside of the door around a little, but you'll see it.

Just be careful when putting that door panel back on. It's easy to think all the clips are in place, but if one is off, it can be bad news.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
I did a how to in a thread a while back...I'll make a sticky next time I'm on my computer and post it for 99+stangs

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
WhiteStang99 said:
i dont know about a how to, but first pry up the hard plastic part on the door, where the window and lock buttons are if u have those. There's a small notch in the top of it. Pull that out, and then pull up. You'll have to disconnect the switches from the panel, just a regular old phillips head screwdriver should do it if I'm not mistaken.

After that, pull up on the whole door panel from the inside. The whole thing will lift up and out a little, comes right off. After that, you should have access to the speaker. Might have to move some of that plastic crap on the inside of the door around a little, but you'll see it.

Just be careful when putting that door panel back on. It's easy to think all the clips are in place, but if one is off, it can be bad news.
The only thing I'd change in this is before you pull the door panel up..there's a plastic "christmas tree" on the inside of the front door jam holding the panel in. If you're looking at the door with it open...look at the hinged side, look at the panel closest to this and that's where it is.

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
WhiteStang99 said:

After that, pull up on the whole door panel from the inside of the car. Pull up on the very bottom of the door panel. The whole thing will lift up and out a little, comes right off. After that, you should have access to the speaker. Might have to move some of that plastic crap on the inside of the door around a little, but you'll see it.

let me change the way I worded something...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts