Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know exactly what everyone believe urethane is better. i'll explain why fiberglass is better with 3 reasons.

first, to paint urethane they first have to prime is with an glue like substance that makes the paint stick better, BUT still, its a lot harder to paint urethane than fiberglass. urethane also takes much more time to prep.

second, when you bump urethane into something it will deform and the paint chips off very easy, and when you goto re-paint it, often it is very hard to make look good again because paint wont stick. when you break fiberglass you can just bondo and shureglass it back in shape and prime and paint it up.

and third, when you goto fit fiberglass its almost a perfect fit, and if not, a professional can prep it to fit perfect, but with urethane the fit you get when its made is the fit you get when you install it, bar none.

just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but, if its cracked or broken, its easy as hell to fix, and itll look like new again... if you crash a urethane kit it deforms and paint will look like $hit. in other words, fiberglass my break easier, but its actually fixable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i also just thought of another good reason for fiberglass while going though old posts at v6power.net: you can reinforce fiberglass with wood if your worried abouit strength. i believe the stalker kit actually comes reinforced with a pieve of wood where the fiberglass bumper would be weak otherwise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can add a flex agent to the paint and that will help keep it from flaking off. You spray a bonding agent on urethane...not that big of a deal. The paint all sprays the same. Fiberglass is easy to work on though...no doubt. Personally I would rather have some flex in my ground effects.

Jon

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dunno, it just seems to me that every urethane kit ive seen at shows and everything dont kit exact either. as far as i know, you can change a urethane kit once its made... and i still see paint problems, although i havent seen a roush kit, but i know their probly awesome quality, considering the proce, and the professionalism they must have since they build awesome race cars. i guess it depends on a lot of little things too, like the manufacturer.

i'm just trying to decied what i want to to do with my car in terms of bodykits and exterior mods... but i think i'm still going with fiberglass because ive had a LOT more expierence with it, so i guess its preference too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts