Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so when I was installing my fog lights today I heard a pop noise. No fuse was blown and everything seemed fine. I got home and went to get out of the car... And my nightmare began.... I heard the warning chime that my headlights were on. The key was out and they were on the AUTO setting. I turned them too off but they still stayed on. Park lights,headlights, tail lights, all lights on.

The only way to get them to go off is to pull the 80 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood that controls the fuse box in the cab area.

PLEASE HELP!

I've checked all fuses and all are good, took switch off and plugged back in- still on.

Suggestions?? And is there an actual headlamp/auto light relay?

2010 v6

·
Premium Member
6,120 Posts
Ok so when I was installing my fog lights today I heard a pop noise. No fuse was blown and everything seemed fine. I got home and went to get out of the car... And my nightmare began.... I heard the warning chime that my headlights were on. The key was out and they were on the AUTO setting. I turned them too off but they still stayed on. Park lights,headlights, tail lights, all lights on.

The only way to get them to go off is to pull the 80 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood that controls the fuse box in the cab area.

PLEASE HELP!

I've checked all fuses and all are good, took switch off and plugged back in- still on.

Suggestions?? And is there an actual headlamp/auto light relay?

2010 v6
Were these regular or HIDs ? Or did you add fog lamps to the vehicle?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was installing factory fogs. It requires splicing into both fog wires on the light switch. I removed the whole fog setup until I figure out the headlights.

Headlights are stock.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sounds like a relay is fused together. Should be in fuse box they are much larger and cube shaped. Most of time they use several of same size and style, check and see if you have one and swap. Make sure it's for something that's not going to affect your car starting ie (hazard lights)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a relay is fused together. Should be in fuse box they are much larger and cube shaped. Most of time they use several of same size and style, check and see if you have one and swap. Make sure it's for something that's not going to affect your car starting ie (hazard lights)

This way My thinking - I know what a relay is lol- where is the one that controls auto lights ?

Just did not know where the one controlling lights is.
I'll probably just try plucking and swapping tomorrow.

I hope it's not the SJB... :/

Surely not...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't sleep... Or function... This thing is like my 3rd child. And my Daily.

Where is the DRL module?

I've went over the wiring multiple times.... I'm positive something is stuck closed .... Probably welded that way when I shorted it out by connecting wires backwards.

Idk how it would back feed through the fog light wires though.... Grr

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

It is EVERY light... Radio illum, steering illum, interior, tails, side markers... Everything

·
Registered
787 Posts
I can't sleep... Or function... This thing is like my 3rd child. And my Daily.

Where is the DRL module?

I've went over the wiring multiple times.... I'm positive something is stuck closed .... Probably welded that way when I shorted it out by connecting wires backwards.

Idk how it would back feed through the fog light wires though.... Grr

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

It is EVERY light... Radio illum, steering illum, interior, tails, side markers... Everything
A relay would close weld itself if it got hot enough. That's weird about the radio though. And your drl module is (facing your car) on the driver side right by your fog lights unplug it and see if everything shuts off. If this doesn't work. Go one by one through all relays unplugging until u find the problem

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A relay would close weld itself if it got hot enough. That's weird about the radio though. And your drl module is (facing your car) on the driver side right by your fog lights unplug it and see if everything shuts off. If this doesn't work. Go one by one through all relays unplugging until u find the problem

I'll try that tomorrow.

I know when I unplug the 80amp power fuse to the SJB it cuts power to the lights. Is there something in the SJB that controls ALL lights?

And the drl module- is it below the headlight?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'll try that tomorrow.

I know when I unplug the 80amp power fuse to the SJB it cuts power to the lights. Is there something in the SJB that controls ALL lights?

And the drl module- is it below the headlight?

I forgot about that.. That might be your problem. Yea the sjb controls all lights and accessories . It might be just that because i forgot not all American mustangs don't carry drl modules . I live in Canada so mine does. Anyhow its right under the lights

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Just look through the owners manual at all your relays and fuses. Start swapping relays of the same with with anything that has to do with the headlights/lighting. If that doesn't affect anything, it's possible you fried the harness somewhere and it's got a short (pop sound). That requires slowly pulling fuses and going through circuits until you find where the short is localized to. It could even be in the switch itself.

What were you touching specifically when you were installing the fog lights and heard the pop? I'd start looking into that wiring circuit before anything else. The diagram posted should help.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Just look through the owners manual at all your relays and fuses. Start swapping relays of the same with with anything that has to do with the headlights/lighting. If that doesn't affect anything, it's possible you fried the harness somewhere and it's got a short (pop sound). That requires slowly pulling fuses and going through circuits until you find where the short is localized to. It could even be in the switch itself.

What were you touching specifically when you were installing the fog lights and heard the pop? I'd start looking into that wiring circuit before anything else. The diagram posted should help.
That is a possibility .. Use a volt tester at the relay and then at the wires. If voltage is different then there's the problem

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I connected the fog light switch wire (gray/violet)
The fog light indicator to a relay- one of them received 12 volts when it shouldn't and made a pop sound (short)

The short was a one time thing.

I'm currently thinking something in the SJB is wrong... Idk how easy it is to diagnose or fix. There is only fuses and two relays that are in related on the SJB.

So something is wrong internally.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I connected the fog light switch wire (gray/violet)
The fog light indicator to a relay- one of them received 12 volts when it shouldn't and made a pop sound (short)

The short was a one time thing.

I'm currently thinking something in the SJB is wrong... Idk how easy it is to diagnose or fix. There is only fuses and two relays that are in related on the SJB.

So something is wrong internally.
Not cheap to diagnose

1 - 20 of 44 Posts