Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't seem to have a realistic picture of where my 3.9l v-6 automatic 2004 mustang stands in comparison other car and the gt. I was wondering which upgrades are necessary to be on par w/ the gt. I bought a mag Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords where some guy Kenny Brown says if I add dual exhaust, suspension, and 4.10 rear gears my v-6 will be as quick as the gt for less $$$. Is this realistic and if not what is necessary to be on par w/ GT?

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Well it'll take more than duals, suspension and gears, but having a 2004 you have a good base to start at. With a simple few mods you can have some decent horsepower, but to have as much as a GT would require alot of money and/or work on your part. You'll need a CAI, Underdrive Pulley, Dual exhaust, gears and t-lok, cam, and P&P heads and intakes. If you're interested contact me via e-mail or PM, or you can contact Steve at extremeeffect.com or just go to www.extremeeffect.com if you're interested or wanna do some research. Just ask questions and we'll help you out.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Extreme Effects.com said:
Not realistic, It'll be a fun car but not realistic to = a GT.
Wow, you beat me to the post:p:

·
Registered
529 Posts
And have fun finding someone with a GT that will run you who is actually still stock.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
well you started off with an auto.... they suck.... in comparison to a stock 99 up gt manual you are a two seconds slower, a second and a half slower than an auto gt. If you do all the bolt ons you will be in the mid/low 15s with a tq converter high 14s and with slicks mid 14s~

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
megax29 said:
I don't seem to have a realistic picture of where my 3.9l v-6 automatic 2004 mustang stands in comparison other car and the gt. I was wondering which upgrades are necessary to be on par w/ the gt. I bought a mag Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords where some guy Kenny Brown says if I add dual exhaust, suspension, and 4.10 rear gears my v-6 will be as quick as the gt for less $$$. Is this realistic and if not what is necessary to be on par w/ GT?
That is a great big lie. The recent article on V6 mods and bolt ons was pure fantasy plain and simple. They did nothing more than add up manufactures claims. Which are inflated by 50% or more. There are to many people like me who have done real world dynos and can raise the BS flag on most of the stuff they sell. Most are claims based on what they see on GT and Cobra's which is totally insane.

·
Registered
941 Posts
what dangerdude said. i had most of the bolt ons with my 2000 v6 and she ran high 14's. she had 14.7-14.8's in her but i wasn't able to do it. that's a far cry from 13's and my car was definitely track prepped!

austin

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know a lot of the slang you guys talk about racing, like what are bolt ons and slicks? Like I said I don't know a lot bout racing but I think I run high 15s or low 16s. I think my car runs faster than its expected. I've raced two other 100% stock v-6 3.8l stangs in an estimated 1/4 mile and I beat both by 2-1.5 car lengths, no competition. Both told me it must be cuz mine was a 3.9L, I feel like that's their excuse. What do you guys think my car runs, and do you know anywhere I can get my car timed in San Jose, CA area?

·
Registered
529 Posts
megax29 said:
I don't know a lot of the slang you guys talk about racing, like what are bolt ons and slicks? Like I said I don't know a lot bout racing but I think I run high 15s or low 16s. I think my car runs faster than its expected. I've raced two other 100% stock v-6 3.8l stangs in an estimated 1/4 mile and I beat both by 2-1.5 car lengths, no competition. Both told me it must be cuz mine was a 3.9L, I feel like that's their excuse. What do you guys think my car runs, and do you know anywhere I can get my car timed in San Jose, CA area?
Were their's both pre 99s? Cuz those have about 40 fewer horses then you do.

bolt ons are the simple mods like exhaust, intake, pullies. They don't do a whole lot on the V6's really. You can get all of the bolt ons and you will probably hang with the pre 99 GT automatic verts. Slicks are drag racing tires, most aren't legal on the street and you wouldn't want to have them on the street anyway. You want drag radials if you want a bit more grip then typical street tires.

And there really isn't much difference between the 3.9 and 3.8, a couple hp and ft lbs really.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Bolt ons = Cold air intakes, Underdrive pullies, mufflers, Throttle body. The definition usually means anything you can bolt on to the engine as a performance gain

Slicks = Refers to Drag Slicks, tires used at the drag strip for better traction and better times as they help reduce tire spin at launchbut are terible for street use and illegal.

A far as you beating them because you have a 3.9 I would say your engine is not responsible depending on the year 3.8 and who is driving and the condition of the car in terms of tune ups all addd up to a cars performance.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But 2 car lengths is a lot in a 1/4 mile isn't it? There was no comp. So you guys think I may be capable of high 15s 100% stock or what would you guess? I know Mach 1s run 13.5 and I'm guessing GTs around 14.5-15 what about me? Whipster says 3.9L has a couple more hp. I know 3.8 have 193hp, can I say I have 195lbs? Also I thought torque was measure in ft/lbs, how is this scientificly explained as its unit of measurement? A friend told me that it could also be measured on a 1-10 scale and my car was a 2 or 3, I don't believe him but could it be true?

·
Registered
349 Posts
My car is weird. I haven't seen another 2004 like mine. I got it in TX and it was the only V-6 like it. I has some visual upgrades: silver painted center panel w/ aluminum trim around the (auto) shifter that I haven't seen another V-6 with, 460 Mach audio system, rims that I've seen on only one other mustang, and its got a GT scoop on the hood which most v-6s dont have or none. There's obvious visual upgrades and I'm wondering could it possibly have more under the hood? I know some have T-lok mine doesn't, but what do you guys think?\

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No they were both 2003 and both auto just like mine except mine is 3.9L and 2004. I will take pics they'll be up sometime next week.

·
Registered
529 Posts
There is really no significant difference in the engines

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
megax29 said:
My car is weird. I haven't seen another 2004 like mine. I got it in TX and it was the only V-6 like it. I has some visual upgrades: silver painted center panel w/ aluminum trim around the (auto) shifter that I haven't seen another V-6 with, 460 Mach audio system, rims that I've seen on only one other mustang, and its got a GT scoop on the hood which most v-6s dont have or none. There's obvious visual upgrades and I'm wondering could it possibly have more under the hood? I know some have T-lok mine doesn't, but what do you guys think?
I got the Mach 460 w/ 6cd changer:D

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Everyone says there's no significant difference but I wanna know if there's any difference. Could my 3.9L actually have 195hp? I heard from someone here that it has more displacement what does that mean in simpler terms? I was also wondering the 3.8L actually is a measurement for? Can anyone tell me if 3.9Ls are also 232s?

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
There is no difference in the engine so ther is nothing extra. Roush and Saleen do nothing to the V6 motor when they get them.

I have yet to seee or hear of any V6 with Tlok from the factory. Many come with Mach 460 system. Most 04 got the 2001 Cobra hood but I have seen GT hood scoops on V6's it is an option. A couple of HP does not equate to 2 car lengths

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
can I say calm down megax? 2 horsepower isn't much.... 193, 195, it's all close to 200, just round up. Fact is, we v-6er's don't have much power when we're NEAR 3.85 liters... as long as we're rounding. Why not just start bolting on and not worry about how much power you have until you get it tuned and dyno'd? Then you won't have to worry about the 2 horsepower... because you'll know exactly what you have. Be happy you won, and don't worry about .1 liters. By the way foot pounds of torque, it has that label because torque is a measure of distance from a point of axis multiplied by a force being applied at said distance. Distance is measured in feet in the stupid English system of the United States, and the English system for weight, or force is pounds. so, you get foot pounds... torque on an engine is measured by how much the engine would make something want to turn. A tendancy to want to turn is torque. That's my physics from last year :D... I threw in the engine crap, but seriously, something wanting to turn, a tendancy to turn, it's torque. Apply it to engines.... done.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts