Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 V6 and I've had it about a year, since it's my first car I've done most of the maintenance myself to learn more about my car. Everytime I stop from over 20 mph what I presume to be my cars brakes screech. If I lay off it stops and doesn't happen until the next time I brake over 20. I've changed all 4 pads and think it might be rotors. Any ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
**** I don't have a picture on me at the moment, and it's snowing outside. They look about how you would expect them. Some not too deep grooves from neglect of the previous owner. I changed the pads less than a year ago

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
i'm gonna guess you didn't have the rotors turned when you changed the pads?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did not lol I was looking to change the rotors completely anyhow. Should I be weary of anything because of the screeching?

Also what cheap but reliable rotors would you recommend?

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Well youll probably need new pads too...your old rotors have most likely rutted the pads. I would swap if it was me...as for rotors any oem replacement from advance or autozone will do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the autozone dura last gold class brake pads and rotors and they are great and quiet, and the brake pads have a lifetime warranty so once they wear out you get new ones for free just bring back your old ones and they give you a new set

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
i'm not sure thats how that lifetime warranty works...pretty sure it only covers manufacture defects or premature wear...would be kinda hard for a company to stay in business if they only ever sold one pair per customer

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm on my second set of pads from them paid for the first set and they were great and they gave me the second when it was warn out and for my alternator is the same thing, it went out and it has a life time on it also so i took it to them and they gave me a new one and the clutch I just got from them is lifetime also, idk about all of the products they have but for the ones I have they say lifetime and continue to give me new free parts

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
no wonder there's been rumors of autozone selling to another company...well take them for all they're worth while you can :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
The stock price for autozone is almost at a all time high so I think I'm safe, but if they do sell the owners of autozone will have a ton of cash from the buyers

·
Premium Member
19,578 Posts
They make money because most people will sell or trade the car before the part needs replacement.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
The stock price for autozone is almost at a all time high so I think I'm safe, but if they do sell the owners of autozone will have a ton of cash from the buyers
really? we must watch different stock markets :) if i recall their quarter ended in feb with an 8% drop in sales and "We were not pleased with our same store sales results for the quarter," CEO and Chairman Bill Rhodes said in a prepared release. in fact In 2013 so far, AutoZone stock has been weaker than some competitors', up 7% through Monday's close compared to the 11% rise in shares of Pep Boys (PBY) and a 13% rise in O'Reilly Automotive stock..

that being said i work for Advance which is only 2nd in the stock options for autoparts in the United States so they can't say much, but it's my main reason for following stock so closely...i like to know how well i'm doing :D

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I have the autozone dura last gold class brake pads and rotors and they are great and quiet, and the brake pads have a lifetime warranty so once they wear out you get new ones for free just bring back your old ones and they give you a new set
This made my day! Slo hit the nail on the head. It covers defects, not normal wear. If they told you you could do that, I would start shopping at another store.....

·
Premium Member
19,578 Posts
I know the corporate mgr over brakes at az. I'll confer with him today and find out

·
Premium Member
19,578 Posts
The lifetime warranty is intended to cover defects in workmanship or premature failure. With that said...if they ever need replacement carry them to your local store and they will replace them for free...small price to pay to keep you coming in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts