Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have made changes to my 2013 roush v6. Changes exhaust to MagnaFlow, also changed settings on computer using JLT CAI & BAMA SF3 Tuner. Changed rear end gears to 3.73 gears. Will be going on a dyno.....My question is:
I heard that mustang drive shaft has a problem at high speeds, does anyone know or have information on drive shaft?

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I have made changes to my 2013 roush v6. Changes exhaust to MagnaFlow, also changed settings on computer using JLT CAI & BAMA SF3 Tuner. Changed rear end gears to 3.73 gears. Will be going on a dyno.....My question is:
I heard that mustang drive shaft has a problem at high speeds, does anyone know or have information on drive shaft?
Don't go faster then 130mph because at 135-136 the drive shafts blows up literally and ****ed up ur trany, ebrake and other ****.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Dont dyno it until you get a driveshaft its not worth dealing with the damage. I order mine a week ago should be coming in this week

·
Registered
809 Posts
He clearly stated that he made adjustments to his computer with his Bama SF3. Even if he didn't have a custom tune made yet he could still remove his speed limiter if he knows how to do it.

Anyways, I have herd that your drive shaft go's at between 120 and 130. In all reality, speed has less to do with it than you might think. Your drive shaft is going to snap because of excessive torque at high speed plus the added force of high wind resistance. With a roush mustang and 3.73 gears you are putting down more power and torque than allot of other people. Meaning that you could snap the drive shaft just about any time you have extended wot. You probably don't need to worry about it in your day to day drive but if you plan on going to the track where you could legally go that fast then I would get that new drive shaft on there as soon as I could. I would also say get it on there before a tune, I don't think I need to tell you how horrible and dangerous it could be if you drive shaft blew on a dyno.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Don't believe us just look at this.

Click here:

2011 Ford Mustang V6 Driveshaft Fails At 135mph - YouTube

They can also blow up on a dyno:

Click here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZXBjVIrR08

Since your car is a 2013 Roush you may already have a better drive shaft that will not break. You need to get your car on a lift and look at it. If it looks like this:
you need to replace it.

I would think that the first thing Roush would do is replace the crappy two piece drive shaft with something that would take some abuse. After all, The Roush is a performance car and not just A normal V6 mustang.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Ya get the DS first. Risk of damage, safety and also you will get the most out of the dyno run as the DS will free up rotational mass which is good for a little HP and Tq.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
coach4847,

As far as I know, the 2013 Roush v6 still has the standard v6 two piece drive-shaft. I know these guys already mentioned this several times, but you should really look into an upgraded one-piece aluminum drive-shaft before the Dyno run. With the Bama SF3 tuner, you'll still have a speed limiter of 128mph, but keep in mind excessive stress on the DS can still allow it to fail, even under 135mph. Clearly, you're interested in performance and aggressive driving (hence the Roush), so a drive-shaft upgrade is a wise choice!

Hope this helps your decision in upgrading. If there's anything else I can do, just let me know!

Shane

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the input.....that's what I thought. A one piece aluminum drive shaft is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Click here:

They can also blow up on a dyno:

Click here:

Since your car is a 2013 Roush you may already have a better drive shaft that will not break. You need to get your car on a lift and look at it. If it looks like this:
you need to replace it.

I would think that the first thing Roush would do is replace the crappy two piece drive shaft with something that would take some abuse. After all, The Roush is a performance car and not just A normal V6 mustang.

Ronnie
Is that the 3.7 driveshaft for 2011-12? I was under the car the other day and my 2013 doesn't look at all like that. It looks more like the Shaftmasters I had on my 2006, one solid piece without the center joint, and a slip joint on one end.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Yes this is the 2011/2012 drive shaft

I'm pretty sure that Ford does not use these crappy dangerous things on the 2013. It is good to look though to see if you have a 2013 to be certain that the Mustang you have has the one piece shaft.

I'm guessing some early 13's still use the two piece. Ford sure ain't gonna toss out any leftovers.

I wonder if the 2012 and 2013 drive shafts are interchangeable.
Ronnie

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Thanks Ronnie - I almost bought a new driveshaft as soon as I bought the car, but put it off. Then had a chance to get the car on a lift last weekend and check it out. Noticed the one piece driveshaft and wondered if that was a change from 2011-12

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
I believe the change in driveshafts in 2013 plays in with selling the Mustang overseas. They would never hold up on the autoban (European highway speeds), so the driveshaft was changed out to support the sales over there. I'm guessing too that the top speed has increased as well.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
But the real question is this, who wants to be the lab rat to take off the limiter and run it on a dyno or something?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm the guy. I've got a 2013 and I'm just trying to set $$$ aside for some parts. I'll be going to the track this spring. Could've had a nice bolt on list started if I didn't have to buy snows right away.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Hi Bucko

I don't think it has as much to do with exporting as it has to do with Ford spending a heck of A lot of $$$$ on repairing the cars when the drive shafts let loose. It is A wonder that someone has not lost A leg or worse. I guess we will never know how many of these stupid idiot designed two piece drive shafts have already failed at a normal 75/85 miles per hour.(What the hell were they thinking?????)

Ronnie

1 - 20 of 55 Posts