Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a 96 mustang v6 and i want to put dual exhaust on it. So it'll sound cool and be a little faster. i read that a good size for the diameter of the exhaust is about 2 1/4." All i can find is 2 1/2". i know that the Gt takeoffs are 2 1/4" but im not sure if i will get the sound that i want with those. if i were to get 2 1/2", would i lose too much backpressure, and essentially some low end torque? i dont plan to put very many mods on my car. Can someone help me?

how much would an underdrive pulley set cost? Also, if i were to get the long tube headers, i would need an H pipe or and X pipe, that would make it louder, but...i might lose too much back pressure. How much of a power gain would i get if i did the pulley's, the induction, and exhaust?

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Well actually, what i would do for your car is get a cold air iduction kit and an Underdrive pulley, and dual exhaust and that will give your car a good little boost in power.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Then get gears!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much would an underdrive pulley set cost? Also, if i were to get the long tube headers, i would need an H pipe or and X pipe, that would make it louder, but...i might lose too much back pressure. How much of a power gain would i get if i did the pulley's, the induction, and exhaust?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
i just got the long tubes and full exhaust with catted h last month. i did experience a noticable difference through the powerband. having 2.5 inch piping all the way through hasn't hurt anything that i've noticed. just to warn you though, it will sound a bit weak at anything over 3000 rpms... i now have an underdrive pulley also, the gains aren't very noticable. mostly i've just found that my a/c cools down faster, and my heat warms up faster. i get a bit better mileage, and i have a little more power on the high end. but like i said, the power gain is minute. i don't have a CAI, but i'm getting one in 2 weeks, so i'll get back to you on that

long tubes = 250
catted h = 320
or
off road h (not street legal) = 190
gt take-offs (decent sound) = 120ish

underdrive pulley = 80ish

cai (mac straight shot) = 190

·
Registered
82 Posts
You shouldn't have much of a problem with losing back pressure as long as you are not getting to big of pipes and 2.5 should not be too big. Also if you want some good prices on the pulleys and CAI and sometimes exhaust go to ebay. But if you are going for sound I would have to recommend you go with Spintech or magnaflow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have 2.25 duals, udp, and ebay intake, sounds way better then stock but dont think ur gonna drive around real loud so everyone notices or anything, if you wanna hear it we could meet up sometime, u could listen and go for a ride and see if u feel a difference with the bolt on mods i have

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
mustangmike524 said:
just outta curiousity is i seen that your name is silverford96..but actually its opal frost.. silver was reintroduced to mustangs in 98.. and i strongly suggest you to check out www.stangbangers.com/Opal_Frost_Registry.html and register n the registry...
:thumbs2: @ opal frost

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
2.25 inch exhaust pipe does not become a restriction until you are pushing 300rwhp~

·
Banned
1,170 Posts
UDP=under drive pulley

the stock headers are also known to not become a restriction untill about 300hp, you may feel a gain with aftermarkets, but i couldnt see spending 250+ dollars for minor gains

2.5" catback with stock cats would do you well, or if you wanted to, a 2.25 with high flow cats wouldnt be too horrible either

1 - 15 of 15 Posts