Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I went to a Nissan dealership the other day to just browse and we saw a 370z Nismo model. While nice looking, the MSRP was just under 44k. I later looked online at Edmunds and that vehicles true market value is just shy of 42k. I looked at the specs on this Nismo model and noticed it had less torque than my 2011 V6 stang and just 45 more HP. The Nismo was 20k more and thought to myself what kind of putz would one be to spend 20k more on that car for that little more performance than the V6 Mustang. I just couldn't think that the mustang V6 or V8 models are the best deal around for a sports vehicle. Ford gives a great quality product for a very reasonable price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Are you asking a question, making a statement or looking for confirmation of your logic?

But indeed, you are correct. Ford Mustangs are a fantastic deal for what you get in a sports car. I'm not a big fan of the Nissan 370z Nismo and quite honestly I'm shocked to hear the MSRP on that. 44k? Wow.
 

·
Lorraine's driver
Joined
·
8,195 Posts
I always thought after they changed the body styles from the 300Z, that it has looked like a girls car ever since. Like Miata's and the little BMW's. I know those are verts, but they still remind me of a girls car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,798 Posts
I like the 370z. But the price is a deal breaker. More then a 5.0. They gotta lower the price if they want it to be competitive. Also, for being a pretty compact car, they're rather heavy. Shed some weight and dollars on the next Z and I'd consider it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,133 Posts
Yea mustangs are great for their prices that's why they sell. But a 370 will outclass the v6 mustang in almost every aspect but for 35-45k I wouldn't consider buying one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
$44k is pretty highly optioned... they start at ~$33k. Still a little higher than a Mustang GT, but it's an entirely different kind of car. If you're going to try and compare pricing with a V6 Mustang (lol), don't use the top model of the 370Z.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lt. Coldfire said:
Are you asking a question, making a statement or looking for confirmation of your logic?

But indeed, you are correct. Ford Mustangs are a fantastic deal for what you get in a sports car. I'm not a big fan of the Nissan 370z Nismo and quite honestly I'm shocked to hear the MSRP on that. 44k? Wow.
Statement really lol. Just that a mustang is really a great deal when it comes to power and performance for the price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
GSRGuy94 said:
$44k is pretty highly optioned... they start at ~$33k. Still a little higher than a Mustang GT, but it's an entirely different kind of car. If you're going to try and compare pricing with a V6 Mustang (lol), don't use the top model of the 370Z.
Well actually that was kind of my point on how crazy it was. The top of the line base automatic 370 Z is 44,000 and they want to sell it for 42,000. The base automatic v6 mustang model is 20,000 dollars lower, has 45 horsepower less and has more torque than the top of the line 370 Z that is 20,000 dollars more. For 42 or 44,000 dollars one spends on a 370 z, you can buy a boss 302 for around that price. Non Laguna package of course. For around 33k a 5.0 with track pack will kill the Nismo 370z and for 9 grand less. It just shows how much performance one gets with Ford and its mustangs.

Even the lower level 370z is around 33k and it has 10 less torque, 25 more HP than the mustang V6 model and its still 10 grand less. Holy cow. Ford and its mustangs are awesome
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,798 Posts
+1, just crazy. Another $6k and you're in a vette. They need it to compete with the the Mustang, Camaro, Genesis, etc. So they need to lower the price to be competitive I think. Not sure how sales are with it but I'd think they'd be dropping with all these other great affordable 6cylinders out now. They need a base in the mid-20's. And their top of the line model "nismo", needs better performance not an extra 20hp and tweaked suspension. Give it more! Like I said before, I like the Z, just not the price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
CYCLON37 said:
+1, just crazy. Another $6k and you're in a vette. They need it to compete with the the Mustang, Camaro, Genesis, etc. So they need to lower the price to be competitive I think. Not sure how sales are with it but I'd think they'd be dropping with all these other great affordable 6cylinders out now. They need a base in the mid-20's. And their top of the line model "nismo", needs better performance not an extra 20hp and tweaked suspension. Give it more! Like I said before, I like the Z, just not the price.
Agreed. I can think of numerous more cars I'd rather have for 44k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
You can complain about the power difference all you want, but it's still the same size motor. And of course the 370Z weighs a couple/few hundred pounds less depending on what model you get. Ford did a great job with the new Mustang (V6/GT/Boss), but comparing it to the 370Z is still apples to oranges.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GSRGuy94 said:
You can complain about the power difference all you want, but it's still the same size motor. And of course the 370Z weighs a couple/few hundred pounds less depending on what model you get. Ford did a great job with the new Mustang (V6/GT/Boss), but comparing it to the 370Z is still apples to oranges.
So, if comparing the V6 mustang to the V6 370Z is apples to oranges then what sports car would you compare the 370Z too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Venomouz831 said:
Well, a 5.0 doesn't sound very fair to me. The 5.0 would kill it in every way including the Nismo model and doing it 9 grand less. The 5.0 is no contest for the 370Z.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Mustang GT isn't a sports car, it's a GT/Ponycar/"Sporty" car. And to be honest, the 370Z is kind of in a class by itself. You can get a base one for much cheaper than a Corvette, but the Corvette is way more car. It's the same price as a Mustang GT, but has two seats, is a little slower in a straight line, but handles better and feels more connected. Because of the direction that the 300ZX's competitors have gone (Mazda/Mitsubishi/Chevrolet), and the way Nissan took the 350/370Z, it basically left it by itself. I'm sure some people will cross-shop the 370Z/Mustang GT, but they are two completely different cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GSRGuy94 said:
Mustang GT isn't a sports car, it's a GT/Ponycar/"Sporty" car. And to be honest, the 370Z is kind of in a class by itself. You can get a base one for much cheaper than a Corvette, but the Corvette is way more car. It's the same price as a Mustang GT, but has two seats, is a little slower in a straight line, but handles better and feels more connected. Because of the direction that the 300ZX's competitors have gone (Mazda/Mitsubishi/Chevrolet), and the way Nissan took the 350/370Z, it basically left it by itself. I'm sure some people will cross-shop the 370Z/Mustang GT, but they are two completely different cars.
And I'm just asking but can the 370Z out handle and preform better than a 5.0 with trac pack. I agree with the 370Z is all by itself in a class. That class would be the crazy/looney class what Nissan is charging for that car and the performance it gives compared to other sporty, pony vehicles or sports like vehicles. For 42 to 44k one could buy a Boss 302 and no way can one say the 370Z handles better than boss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Why do you keep only talking about the fully-optioned top model? Like I said, the base 370Z starts at $33k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GSRGuy94 said:
Why do you keep only talking about the fully-optioned top model? Like I said, the base 370Z starts at $33k.
The base 370Z is still 10k more than the base V6 mustang model and doesn't provide much more performance for the 10k price. I was just really shocked to see the pricing on the 370Z Nismo and its bottom base 370Z model after seeing the vehicle specs.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,133 Posts
2011 Kona Blue said:
Well, a 5.0 doesn't sound very fair to me. The 5.0 would kill it in every way including the Nismo model and doing it 9 grand less. The 5.0 is no contest for the 370Z.
Sorry I have to disagree on that. The 370z nismo does better than the 5.0 at our local auto x and they are both in the same class running ESP. And it's 2 5.0 vs 2 370z
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Venomouz831 said:
Sorry I have to disagree on that. The 370z nismo does better than the 5.0 at our local auto x and they are both in the same class running ESP. And it's 2 5.0 vs 2 370z
Very interesting on that.
 
1 - 20 of 134 Posts
Top