Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How bad is it 2 do a v6 3.8 to a 5.0 swop and Is thare any thang I can do that's wood be faster and cheaper

·
Registered
252 Posts
New me said:
How bad is it 2 do a v6 3.8 to a 5.0 swop and Is thare any thang I can do that's wood be faster and cheaper
It'll cost you roughly 15k at least... Rear end, tranny, engine, tuning, computer and labor plus many other little things

·
Registered
141 Posts
New me said:
I've asked the same thing with a 4.6. I think it'd be worth it. I mean I like sleepers and having a 5.0 in a v6 body would be awesome. So it's about 15k without boost probably when its all installed or about 30k for a 5.0 in a 5.0 body.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well why it is I have a 96 v6 and the block has a big crack in the piston and water Jackie so I need 2 do something

·
Registered
141 Posts
New me said:
Well why it is I have a 96 v6 and the block has a big crack in the piston and water Jackie so I need 2 do something
The cheapest route would probably be buying another v6 motor same year and just dropping it in.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Claypops said:
I've asked the same thing with a 4.6. I think it'd be worth it. I mean I like sleepers and having a 5.0 in a v6 body would be awesome. So it's about 15k without boost probably when its all installed or about 30k for a 5.0 in a 5.0 body.
Except for the fact you'll almost always have tuning issues and it won't run like a regular 5.0 will at all

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
angelofrat42 said:
Except for the fact you'll almost always have tuning issues and it won't run like a regular 5.0 will at all
Swaps nowadays aren't near that bad. Everything is made to be plug and play and I have yet to see any of the 5.0 swap thread/articles talk about tuning issues

·
Registered
141 Posts
angelofrat42 said:
I have a friend who did it with his 2006 mustang and now he is out running 5.0s and in the elevens. With stock motor and procharger. He didn't even have it tuned until he boosted it.

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Claypops said:
I have a friend who did it with his 2006 mustang and now he is out running 5.0s and in the elevens. With stock motor and procharger. He didn't even have it tuned until he boosted it.
He also put in the stock 5.0 tranny and interior

·
ME Bloodhound
14,699 Posts
Claypops said:
A cheaper route would be getting a GT and putting v6 body work and badges on it... Then get more mufflers for your exhaust and make one of them a turn down so you only have 1 tip stickin out... That will be so much cheaper

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Soccerluvr4 said:
A cheaper route would be getting a GT and putting v6 body work and badges on it... Then get more mufflers for your exhaust and make one of them a turn down so you only have 1 tip stickin out... That will be so much cheaper
What the heck? Haha that would be funny

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm actually looking at dropping the 5.0 coyote engine in my 08 v6 when I get back from Kuwait. Lots of power there and keeping it in the v6 body my insurance won't go up thank god

·
Registered
488 Posts
Panhead_77 said:
I'm actually looking at dropping the 5.0 coyote engine in my 08 v6 when I get back from Kuwait. Lots of power there and keeping it in the v6 body my insurance won't go up thank god
Same here what's the price on the motor , tranny, wiring harness , an rear end ?????

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wmcgrattan said:
Same here what's the price on the motor , tranny, wiring harness , an rear end ?????
From what I've seen you can get a decently priced engine on ebay for around 6 grand. I'm gonna quote around 15000-18000 for the whole swap. On top of the engine, tranny, wiring harness, and rear end I've also got to change out my shocks and struts to support the weight of the new heavier engine. Also have to have the engine tuned and dynoed. And upgrade my brakes and rotors. The stock brakes an rotors aren't nearly enough to stop that much weight and power

·
Registered
488 Posts
Panhead_77 said:
From what I've seen you can get a decently priced engine on ebay for around 6 grand. I'm gonna quote around 15000-18000 for the whole swap. On top of the engine, tranny, wiring harness, and rear end I've also got to change out my shocks and struts to support the weight of the new heavier engine. Also have to have the engine tuned and dynoed. And upgrade my brakes and rotors. The stock brakes an rotors aren't nearly enough to stop that much weight and power
Yeah for sure I would just find a totaled 5.0 an try to buy the whole car an use all the parts that u need

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wmcgrattan said:
Yeah for sure I would just find a totaled 5.0 an try to buy the whole car an use all the parts that u need
Definitely would be the cheapest way to go, especially if you want to keep you pony body.

·
Registered
32 Posts
plus its a good bit cheaper on the insurance since it be titled as a v6 stang

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put one in a Fox and initially spent 10K on the swap. That included engine, ECM, K-member, and EFI fuel system. I bought a used 4.6 to T5 or TKO bell and used my existing transmission. Worked well until the 4.6 clutch I had bought burned up and almost left me stranded...

Just sold the swap car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts