Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i know this is a very common swap and asked alot but im going to ask anyway because i cant find any info on it so what does it take to do a carbed 302 swap into my 98 v6 ive wanted to do this but havnt been able to find info on it so someone bite please

·
Registered
280 Posts
I don't think you would do anything different from an e.f.i swap just follow any 5.0 swap write up and if you can't find anything you didn't look hard enough.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
l2plagears said:
I don't think you would do anything different from an e.f.i swap just follow any 5.0 swap write up and if you can't find anything you didn't look hard enough.
Thats the problem... I cant find any write ups because people confuse me when they start arguing over of you need a different crossmember...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Robbiemustang96 said:
Thats the problem... I cant find any write ups because people confuse me when they start arguing over of you need a different crossmember...
You do need a different cross member , in fact to swap a 302 or 5.0 into your car you would need a 94-95 donor car , you would need ecu wiring harness etc..., if you wanted to do a 302 carbed engine swap you would need the cross member from a 94-95 but you will never pass emissions because they use the obd port to see if the car is up to snuff , it would be cheaper to get a 4.6 from a 99-04 or any 4.6 block for that matter

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey, bud. I was in the same situation as you were a while ago. Here I am with an auto v6, wanted a v8.
I spent a good 3,000 on parts so far, and I'm no where near finished.
Honestly, the swap isn't worth it. You'd be better buying a GT.

But the general list of things you'd need are the engine, a carb, intake, distributor.
You'd need the 94-95 K member or one out of a fox.
If you are going with a 5 speed, you need a T5 out of a 94-95, and an 11.5 flywheel, I believe. The foxbody T5 can work, but requires modding.
You'll have to modify your wiring harness a ton.
You'll want an 8.8 rear.

And I think that's about it? Oh, your gauge cluster won't work, either. I think you'll need mechanical gauges.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rm360 said:
You do need a different cross member , in fact to swap a 302 or 5.0 into your car you would need a 94-95 donor car , you would need ecu wiring harness etc..., if you wanted to do a 302 carbed engine swap you would need the cross member from a 94-95 but you will never pass emissions because they use the obd port to see if the car is up to snuff , it would be cheaper to get a 4.6 from a 99-04 or any 4.6 block for that matter
We dont have emmisision testing...... At least i dont

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LaseRedXD said:
Hey, bud. I was in the same situation as you were a while ago. Here I am with an auto v6, wanted a v8.
I spent a good 3,000 on parts so far, and I'm no where near finished.
Honestly, the swap isn't worth it. You'd be better buying a GT.

But the general list of things you'd need are the engine, a carb, intake, distributor.
You'd need the 94-95 K member or one out of a fox.
If you are going with a 5 speed, you need a T5 out of a 94-95, and an 11.5 flywheel, I believe. The foxbody T5 can work, but requires modding.
You'll have to modify your wiring harness a ton.
You'll want an 8.8 rear.

And I think that's about it? Oh, your gauge cluster won't work, either. I think you'll need mechanical gauges.
Why mechanical gauges i understand the tach part but what about the speedometer i have gauges for everything else like oil pres volt and temp and any gas upgrades?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts