Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished fixing my diff issue, oil change, and tire/rim swap. all thats left to do is change out this valve cover gasket thats turned faulty. so, this'll be a 1st for me for this application. have an 01 Cobra. Any pointers, tips, and/or advice on how to attack this valve cover issue. look forward to hearing from you guys.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ok this one will take the most time to do. Passenger side you remove the intake pipe and upper intake cover the bolts are 8mm. Once you have those removed you can move to removing the spark plugs and covers, coil packs. Then you can remove the valve cover bolts there are 8 I believe on top and on the side. Now the driverside is the most difficult to do. I've pulled both of mine a few times there are two ways to do the driverside. 1. Remove the brake booster from the firewall and break loose the brake lines and have to have the brakes bled later or 2. Unbolt the k-member and lower the engine enough to remove the valve cover. On lowering the engine I'm not sure if the engine will lower enough to remove the cover with the brake booster on so the engine may need to be lowered completely out of the car. I pulled the engine out the last time due to pulling the head. I'm sure someone will chime in and give a lil more input. But those are the ways I've done it. You could prolly fight the valve cover off with the booster on but I doubt you will get it off. And what makes you think the valve cover gaskets are bad? Mine had the gaskets that seal around the spark plug hole that leaked oil into the cylinders.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah. well i'm just replacing the passenger side. that. when I replaced the spark plugs had oil in the spark plug holes. thank you btw.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Ok this one will take the most time to do. Passenger side you remove the intake pipe and upper intake cover the bolts are 8mm. Once you have those removed you can move to removing the spark plugs and covers, coil packs. Then you can remove the valve cover bolts there are 8 I believe on top and on the side. Now the driverside is the most difficult to do. I've pulled both of mine a few times there are two ways to do the driverside. 1. Remove the brake booster from the firewall and break loose the brake lines and have to have the brakes bled later or 2. Unbolt the k-member and lower the engine enough to remove the valve cover. On lowering the engine I'm not sure if the engine will lower enough to remove the cover with the brake booster on so the engine may need to be lowered completely out of the car. I pulled the engine out the last time due to pulling the head. I'm sure someone will chime in and give a lil more input. But those are the ways I've done it. You could prolly fight the valve cover off with the booster on but I doubt you will get it off. And what makes you think the valve cover gaskets are bad? Mine had the gaskets that seal around the spark plug hole that leaked oil into the cylinders.
+ 1 , except you can just unbolt the driver side cover and work the gasket in from around the edge ,it fits into a groove , and you can lift the cover just enough to get the gasket up into the groove ,without completely removing the cover ............ its A LOT simpler that way :good:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts