Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna paint my valve covers blue with some paint I saw on LMR but when I pull then off do I need to replace the gasket or is it reusable? And anyone have pics of theirs painted? Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Someone may criticize me in saying this, but as long as you properly inspect the gaskets and make sure there are no cracks, worn out spots, or warped areas, you can get away with reusing the same gasket. They aren't too expensive tho so it could never hurt just to replace em, could save you trouble down the road.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
03Sixtang said:
Someone may criticize me in saying this, but as long as you properly inspect the gaskets and make sure there are no cracks, worn out spots, or warped areas, you can get away with reusing the same gasket. They aren't too expensive tho so it could never hurt just to replace em, could save you trouble down the road.
True, maybe ill just buy the new ones so I don't have to worry about it, what other paints would work?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
always replace the gaskets...better now then when your old gasket leaks oil on your shiny new painted valve covers

·
Registered
835 Posts
my cars red but I painted my engine block "ford blue" which is what they used to paint all engines with. Kinda old school I like it though. Now i want to make my valves covers match the block though. The heads are aluminum so I think I'll just try to make those as shiny as possible.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Now just to back up what I said before, if they've never been changed since the car was made, I'd definitely change em. But say if you just got new ones not too long ago, you can inspect them and keep them if usable. I've worked on aircraft for several years now and we reuse gaskets with no problems.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
03Sixtang said:
Now just to back up what I said before, if they've never been changed since the car was made, I'd definitely change em. But say if you just got new ones not too long ago, you can inspect them and keep them if usable. I've worked on aircraft for several years now and we reuse gaskets with no problems.
How do they go bad? I've never heard of the valve covers going bad? And what should I look for when I pull them off?? Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts