Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was on a 5.0 stang board, and they told me that using the valve springs i have would be a bad idea, but wouldnt tell me why! those were the arrogant bastards who felt that since i dont have a mustang, im lesser than them :angryfire

well, to the question, i have a set of trick flow valve springs, 110lbs of seat pressure, would these be alright on the stock valves?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
Well, anytime you use something stronger (the springs) with something stock (the valves) you could be asking for trouble, I would say it depends on how much seat pressure the stock springs make possibly, if its a lot less than the trick flows, I would get some better valves, or use the stock springs, but thats just my humble opinion..... :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
I never had a problem running a bit stiffer than stock springs and stock valves. The pring has to match the cam more so than the valve. Of course I was fooling with other than Ford engines if that makes a difference.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,065 Posts
That should be fine, I do these things all the time. (on a V8)

What matters is the installed height and coil bind height.
I saw in the summitt catalog that those are sold for stock
valve 5.0 heads... so :p to those who said it would not work

If the IH and stuff check out OK, the pressures are really good for you.

Are U using it on a V8 or V6???
THe V6 has a shorter IH and the springs will have more pressure
and bind sooner, but on a 5.0 it would be fine. I jsut noticed your
name, T-Bird232ci, and no, they will not fit on a V6 and handle much lift.

I have springs that fit V6's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
Robert, he is building a 5.0 to go in his tbird I believe, actually I should have known they were ok, I put Crower double valve springs on stock 289/225hp valves back about 72 in my 64 1/2 convertable stang. Never had a problem, that thing reved up to about 8K with high rev hydraulic lifters and those springs, sheared the water pump shaft the first time I did it though, that was fun. took out the radiator in the process, ended up with one from a Comet in there.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, im dropping a 5.0 in place of the 3.8, id build the 3.8L if i didnt have a non-roller and non-efi car

i hate when people give you false info, here i was all worried about the springs being too much for the valves and bla bla bla, bastards

thanks for the help, sometime towards the end of this month, i should be picking up an upper intake, engine harness, and some E7's for the engine :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,065 Posts
Tbird232ci said:
yeah, im dropping a 5.0 in place of the 3.8, id build the 3.8L if i didnt have a non-roller and non-efi car

i hate when people give you false info, here i was all worried about the springs being too much for the valves and bla bla bla, bastards

thanks for the help, sometime towards the end of this month, i should be picking up an upper intake, engine harness, and some E7's for the engine :D
Older 289 heads are better, higher CR :)

I can help some on the combo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,065 Posts
Tbird232ci said:
hmmm, 289 heads huh? what years/castings should i look for?

will i have to worry about piston-to-valve clearance?
later ones are best, C7 I believe...
cut them for bigger valves and blend the bowls,
port match them and work the entire port,
they will flow quite well and be good for an easy
400 HP. Quite easily.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RGR said:
later ones are best, C7 I believe...
cut them for bigger valves and blend the bowls,
port match them and work the entire port,
they will flow quite well and be good for an easy
400 HP. Quite easily.
and i bet those are a pain in the ass to find arnt they? :p

how much would that machine work cost if i sent em over to ya?

looks like if i do get those heads, ill definatly need a different intake manifold seeing as the stock one will be a nice restriction
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
also, tha thread before this one "setup feedback" lists pretty much how i was going to build the car, if you see something you think i should improve on, definatly tell me

i was aiming to get the 5.0 in the car this summer, but due to other circumstances, im taking more time, and more time equals more money, so im not as worried about pinching pennies
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
Edlebrock Torquer used to be a real good intake on the 289/302 engines.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
well Rick, since im going EFI, that doesnt help me much :p, in reality, i have heard nothing but good about those intakes for the 289/302, it just wont work for my application

for an intake, im thinking about grabbing a Typhoon intake from ebay, its an almost exact copy of the edelbrock, for like 350, the ports just arnt all polished and smoothed out like the edelbrocks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
He, nope, Torquer wouldn't do for you, its a 4 bbl intake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,065 Posts
Tbird232ci said:
well Rick, since im going EFI, that doesnt help me much :p, in reality, i have heard nothing but good about those intakes for the 289/302, it just wont work for my application

for an intake, im thinking about grabbing a Typhoon intake from ebay, its an almost exact copy of the edelbrock, for like 350, the ports just arnt all polished and smoothed out like the edelbrocks
I'd port one of those for a reasonable fee :)
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top