Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so about 6 months ago i bought my 96 3.8 from somebody who had no idea about cars so i was able to get a mustang for $1000 with 104k no rust at all and runs perfect. He didnt tell me anything about the car so ive been discovering things myself.. Now its always been a little faster than other v6s and the exhaust has a nice raspy sound for a stock exhaust.. Anyways yesterday i hooked up some gauges for the hell of it and realized on the vacuum/boost gauge when i was at idle or low throttle it was about -15 in/hg which is normal vacuum but then it got strange.. When i hit the throttle hard the gauge showed 7-13 psi boost pressure.. I assumed it didnt have any kinda forced induction but maybe im wrong? Deff no supercharger but does this mean maybe theres a turbo on there since somehow mycars creating boost?

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

And dont tell me im reading it wrong because its coming straight from the ecu, all other gauges working fine, and the gauge is reading possitive pressure from somewhere

·
Registered
420 Posts
Can you take a pic of under your hood? And look for any type of turbo but you would know if you had a turbo when you looked under there

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Can you take a pic of under your hood? And look for any type of turbo but you would know if you had a turbo when you looked under there
+1 you should def be able to tell if there's a turbo in a split second when u pop the hood

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
i'm gonna say the gauge is connected to a false vaccum to look cool...i see this done alot by honda guys at work. post pics though

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Yeah itll cause it to read boost when its really only normal vaccum lol...would he cool if it was turbod but itd be hard not to know that when purchasing

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its an electronic gauge coming from the ecu threw the obd plug, its got like 80 different gauges that can be used but it measuring vacuum cuz when i put it in a non turbo car it never gets into the positive range ill post pics a little later

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

And it does measure vacuum( negitive pressure) until i step on the gas ot goes to positive pressure and only when the engines under load

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its threw an elm 327 protocol i bought a cheap mechanical boost gauge to see so ima test that out, im putting a supercharger on next week so i was trying to figure it out before i do that lol

1 - 20 of 76 Posts