Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some new headlights with the clear reflectors and I wanted to spray my old headlights I got in there now with nite shades but I don't want it to look crappy or like a dull black. I don't want them to super black either, just maybe a couple coats to make them looked smoked. What is the best way to do that and make them glossy?

·
Banned
2,785 Posts
I haven't personally used it, but I've seen guys on here saying they put clear coat over it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have too. I know a lot of people sand it and wet sand it and all kinds of other stuff. I don't wanna go through all that trouble cause its gonna be on old headlights.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just spray vht coat by coat until your desired darkness. In order for it to come out glossy you will have to clear it and then wet sand it. You will do this until your desired glossyness (I know thats not a real word lol). I did my bmw tail lights last year. Did 2 coats vht and then 3 stages clear and wet sand. Came out smoked and very glossy like window tint.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So just clean the light off with alcohol or something then coat them the desirable darkness of nite shades then the desirable coats of clear coat and wet sand it after all that dries?

·
Registered
142 Posts
StangerBanger04 said:
So just clean the light off with alcohol or something then coat them the desirable darkness of nite shades then the desirable coats of clear coat and wet sand it after all that dries?
Clean headlights then make it is completely dry, spray light coat of vht let it somewhat dry, if you want it darker spray another light coat, once you get color right then spray light coat of clear, let completely dry then wet sand, wipe it completey dry then spray another coat of clear, continue the clear and wetsand steps until it is glossy enough for you. When you wetsand it will get a haze on it but it goes away with the new coat of clear. Use a spray bottle on mist to wetsand, you just need a bit of water to lubricate the surface. When wetsanding what you are going for is an ultra smooth surface so the next clear coat looks like glass.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
and here's VHT with good high gloss clear...i hated how it was at night so i'm running stock again.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
Ryan7racin said:
Did mine... Cleaned with 409, sanded to get the ild clear coat off, did 3 coats.
How do you see out of those!?

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
silvrskoundrel said:
How do you see out of those!?
I have 6000K H.I.D. Headlights and fogs so its not to bad. The clear coat was peeling so bad before I did them, it looked horrible. So I just did it until my new ones come in.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
Ryan7racin said:
I have 6000K H.I.D. Headlights and fogs so its not to bad. The clear coat was peeling so bad before I did them, it looked horrible. So I just did it until my new ones come in.
That makes since! Mine are the smoked ones American muscle offers & I have 6k HIDs too. But with the smoked headlights they're barely a little better than stock halogens

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
The ones I ordered are just like the ones from American muscle I found them on Amazon for $80 so I couldn't pass it up.
I had some coupons so i got mine for like 100$ from AM

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
That's a good deal! I been needing some for awhile my headlights were the stock ones that came with the car and I got them tinted by a tint shop and the sun started making the tint peel and the lights are getting water in them. There almost 12 years old so it's about tune for new ones lol. I just couldn't see paying $150 from AM so once I seen them for $80 I jumped on it. Clean car btw

·
Registered
278 Posts
I tried it on my 99', the taillights looks amazing. The headlights were terrible. Id rather use covers or tint for the price.

·
Registered
304 Posts
StangerBanger04 said:
I got some new headlights with the clear reflectors and I wanted to spray my old headlights I got in there now with nite shades but I don't want it to look crappy or like a dull black. I don't want them to super black either, just maybe a couple coats to make them looked smoked. What is the best way to do that and make them glossy?
Where and how did you get the clear reflectors??? I want them so bad!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Bamman said:
Where and how did you get the clear reflectors??? I want them so bad!
I got mine on ebay. Love the clear reflectors. And I don't think I paid 80$ for them. But i did have to snap one of the adjuster balls into place to get the headlights aimed properly.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DaBluedude said:
I got mine on ebay. Love the clear reflectors. And I don't think I paid 80$ for them. But i did have to snap one of the adjuster balls into place to get the headlights aimed properly.
I just got mine off eBay too. They look killer and it gets rid of that nasty orange reflectors.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Yep. Ebay rocks. As an alternative for those who are afraid to tint. Get some plastidip smoke and glossifier. All temporary and easy to do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts