Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys, so I got a new car last week, 04 v6 auto transmission with 90k miles on it, after I drove it for few days now I noticed a light vibration (not always but sometimes) in the steering wheel, and it happens after the transmission shifts to the next gear and if I'm not wrong when shifts from second to third gear and also from third to fourth, and it disappears as I accelerate, again it happens sometimes not always, I'm not sure if its from the driveshaft or the transmission or something else, my mechanic checked the driveshaft before I bought the car and it should be fine, is it related to the transmission or just because the rpm still low when the trans shifts so the vibration happens!!!! Anyone experienced this issue before, any advise what to check first!
Thanks

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
That is a very difficult issue to diagnose alot of times. Remedies could vary from many different things:
-Road Force wheel/tire balancing needed.
-Ignition/Fuel system needs preventive maintenance.
-Transmission needs serviced.
-Wheel bearing/suspension part failure.
Please update-Good luck with it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Whats up guys, so I got a new car last week, 04 v6 auto transmission with 90k miles on it, after I drove it for few days now I noticed a light vibration (not always but sometimes) in the steering wheel, and it happens after the transmission shifts to the next gear and if I'm not wrong when shifts from second to third gear and also from third to fourth, and it disappears as I accelerate, again it happens sometimes not always, I'm not sure if its from the driveshaft or the transmission or something else, my mechanic checked the driveshaft before I bought the car and it should be fine, is it related to the transmission or just because the rpm still low when the trans shifts so the vibration happens!!!! Anyone experienced this issue before, any advise what to check first!
Thanks
It could be that your missing a mount on your tran, i have the same problem but twice as worse, i took my car to AAMCO and they told me i was missing them, so go to a tran shop and ask them to check it out

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Well most of the time it's the drive shaft that gets out of balance. The best way to see if it is your drive shaft is get to the speed when you feel the vibration and put your tranny in neutral, if the vibration goes away it's your drive shaft.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Warped rotors, right?
I asked my auto teacher and he said that if it went away it was probably a rough spot on the rotor.
the previous owner let the car sit for over year, and it rains all the time where i'm at.
I guess maybe it had a little rust spot on the rotor.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine shakes when ever I use the brakes. It use to be pretty bad but it's actually barely noticeable now.
And did you find the problem yet?

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

It could be that your missing a mount on your tran, i have the same problem but twice as worse, i took my car to AAMCO and they told me i was missing them, so go to a tran shop and ask them to check it out
A friend also told me about this issue, I'll put it on my check list.
Thanks a lot

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Well most of the time it's the drive shaft that gets out of balance. The best way to see if it is your drive shaft is get to the speed when you feel the vibration and put your tranny in neutral, if the vibration goes away it's your drive shaft.

Good luck :)
This is the easiest check that I can do right away, I'll do it when I leave work today and update you, thanks :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok after driving the car for few weeks now the vibration is almost gone, it's happening maybe once a week or not happening at all, I didn't really have the time to check it because of my work and school but I'm happy its gone because I don't wanna spend money on stuff like that and prefer to spend it on other appearance or handling parts, thanks to all of you guys for all the advices that you shared with me :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts