Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn my steering wheel either left or right it makes a little clicking noise and then when I was pulling into my driveway today and slowing down I heard a rattling noise come from the front wheels. My brake pedal also putters a little bit, but I think It may be the front rotors or pads ..help
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,779 Posts
When I turn my steering wheel either left or right it makes a little clicking noise and then when I was pulling into my driveway today and slowing down I heard a rattling noise come from the front wheels. My brake pedal also putters a little bit, but I think It may be the front rotors or pads ..help
If the brake pedal fluctuates, then it likely is a warped rotor.
The clicking you hear may be from the same cause as the rotor rubs against the brake pad because it is warped and you hear it when turning likely because you have slowed down to turn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for help guys! Getting it looked at this weekend, ill let you know what it turns out to be
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
sLbxO143 said:
Thanks for help guys! Getting it looked at this weekend, ill let you know what it turns out to be
Jack the front end up and just wiggle the front wheels and check for play. Simple and quick check
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Jack the front end up and just wiggle the front wheels and check for play. Simple and quick check
To elaborate:

With front end jacked up, and jack stand under frame, pull back and forth on wheel at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. If there is play, then repeat at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock. If there is play in both positions, wheel bearings are loose or bad. If only at 9 and 3, then tie rods or steering rack have play.

That is the simple answer, it can get much more complicated.

Don't forget to also do the simple check for worn out brake pads...

Good Luck!
--
FluxPrism
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
FluxPrism said:
To elaborate:

With front end jacked up, and jack stand under frame, pull back and forth on wheel at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. If there is play, then repeat at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock. If there is play in both positions, wheel bearings are loose or bad. If only at 9 and 3, then tie rods or steering rack have play.

That is the simple answer, it can get much more complicated.

Don't forget to also do the simple check for worn out brake pads...

Good Luck!
--
FluxPrism
Lol you didn't like the way I explained it? :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Happened to be a warped rotor and worn pads, also need a wheel bearing on the passenger side. Thanks for all the feedback on the this thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Happened to be a warped rotor and worn pads, also need a wheel bearing on the passenger side. Thanks for all the feedback on the this thread.
I'm sure that wasn't cheap, but just replacing that wheel bearing before it let go saved you a ton of money and headache! And changing out that warped rotor will give you better stopping capability, maybe (OK, it's a stretch...) saving you from an accident.

Got to look on the bright side!

--
FluxPrism
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FluxPrism said:
I'm sure that wasn't cheap, but just replacing that wheel bearing before it let go saved you a ton of money and headache! And changing out that warped rotor will give you better stopping capability, maybe (OK, it's a stretch...) saving you from an accident.

Got to look on the bright side!

--
FluxPrism
I agree, I don't mind spending the money because it better than something worse happening like an accident. I had a very bad accident with my last car so now when it comes to tires and brakes I get worried easily. Lol so better safe than sorry
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top