Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been seeing a lot of posts on aftermarket stuff added, because obviously that's what we do. But I'm wondering how far are your dealers letting you go without voiding your warranty? I wanted to put a new driveshaft in and my dealer out here in Germany said hell void my warranty if I do it. And I know wheels are okay, what else has very one done that hasn't voided their warranty. I have mine for 7 years/ 75k miles. Can not decided if I want to void it or not. She's still relatively new.....

·
Registered
803 Posts
CAI in most cases are ok. Axel back exhaust too but ask. If your dealer keeps saying no then call another dealer that can do warranty work, some places are more lie net than others. You can also get away with most appearance mods

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well from what other posters have said,it sometimes depends on the dealership.
I think you need to be realistic,and know that anytime you add an aftermarket
part you take this risk.I just had new gears installed in my 13.

I'm holding off till late summer to add a tune to correct the speedometer..I want to get a few more miles on my car to make sure I have no major problems.I don't think the
risk is that much greater than if you where to occasionally the car.

Best thing to do is return to stock parts,before you take it into the dealer.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CAI in most cases are ok. Axel back exhaust too but ask. If your dealer keeps saying no then call another dealer that can do warranty work, some places are more lie net than others. You can also get away with most appearance mods
Well I live in Germany and there is only 1 mustang mechanic that can work on my car for miles around so I don't have the option to change dealers

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

Well from what other posters have said,it sometimes depends on the dealership.
I think you need to be realistic,and know that anytime you add an aftermarket
part you take this risk.I just had new gears installed in my 13.

I'm holding off till late summer to add a tune to correct the speedometer..I want to get a few more miles on my car to make sure I have no major problems.I don't think the
risk is that much greater than if you where to occasionally the car.

Best thing to do is return to stock parts,before you take it into the dealer.
I bought the tuner and always return it to stock but the computers they put in our stangs can pull up the tunes at the shop if they look for it. I know adding aftermarket parts adds risk but I was just curious what our forum members have done and still have a warranty, aside from appearance mods

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Drive Shaft ????

I would just change it. ( Like I'm going to do with my car) Just don't tell them you changed it. "EVER".

I think only 1 in 1,000 Mechanic's ( PARTS CHANGERS ) will even notice that it is different. Then, I don't think that they could blame to much on a drive shaft change unless you do a tune and take out the speed limiter.

The big thing to worry about is if the aluminum driveshaft causes damage to something else on the car. DUH!!!! HOW???? They sure would have to prove that the drive shaft change caused the problem that needed to be repaired under warranty.

Ronnie

CLICK ON THIS> http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

·
Premium Member
19,578 Posts
ronnie948 said:
I would just change it. ( Like I'm going to do with my car) Just don't tell them you changed it. "EVER".

I think only 1 in 1,000 Mechanic's ( PARTS CHANGERS ) will even notice that it is different. Then, I don't think that they could blame to much on a drive shaft change unless you do a tune and take out the speed limiter.

The big thing to worry about is if the aluminum driveshaft causes damage to something else on the car. DUH!!!! HOW???? They sure would have to prove that the drive shaft change caused the problem that needed to be repaired under warranty.

Ronnie

CLICK ON THIS> http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm
Op lives in germany, that law does not apply.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I bought the tuner and always return it to stock but the computers they put in our stangs can pull up the tunes at the shop if they look for it. I know adding aftermarket parts adds risk but I was just curious what our forum members have done and still have a warranty, aside from appearance mods

If you have a tune on your car then your warranty is shot already, mod away....

My dealer gave me the green light on gears and tune. Lucky I guess.
Not to be an a$$, but your dealer is full of it. All warranty work done by a dealer is ultimately paid by ford because they are supplying the parts and have to foot a bill for labor based on a flat hourly rate. Dealers are required to fill out paperwork detailing the problem and circumstances of the issue to prove to Ford that this issue is warranty related. Unless your dealer is lying on paper work to Ford then you can not get away with a tune(unless it's made by ford, like track key). I highly doubt your dealer is going to roll that dice since Ford can revoke there rite to sell ford cars if they wanted to. Also, unless you have it in writing with a signature the dealer can look at you and just deny ever saying that you could tune your car, at which point your screwed. The ONLY exception to this is if you buy gears from the dealer and have them installed there also, then they will recalibrate your speedometer and odometer but thats it, they will not make any kind of performance change.

If your really worried about your warranty then just do non tune bolt on's and take them off if you ever need warranty work.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yes I understand your point, I've had this debate before being on your side, but all I can say is sit down with your dealer and tell them what you would like to do.....you might just be surprised. Some dealers will give you a hard time about the smallest thing. I'm not, by any means, encouraging anyone to tune, there is always risk! What I should of said instead of my dealer told me to tune away,sorry was at work had to keep it short, is that it also states under the warranty section in our manuals that if there is a failure due to abuse or misuse it can also void your warranty. Meaning that if you have a dealer that gives you a hard time with something as simple as a Cai when you bring it in for service, you should cringe every time you red line it and hope you don't miss a shift and have something fail because they can say it was abuse and deny warranty work, let's face it 90% of us are guilty of driving our cars hard from time to time. For me its really no more of a risk than driving it hard. : ) BTW any dealer that says they will not void your warranty if they install your gears, unless its the factory 3.31, is full of it seeing as Ford does not offer a factory tune for anything other than 2.73 and 3.31. That's what I wanted to do originally but didn't want to tune.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Does this mean the "PINK STRIPED BEAST" is about to come out of storage?

·
Premium Member
5,451 Posts
Question to ashpow24....was your Mustang bought in Germany? If so, is your top speed governed like the Mustangs in the United States, or can it drive within the autoban speed limits there in Germany?

If you brought it over from the states, then these questions are mute, which might explain why you are wanting to replace the driveshaft....don't forget though that a tuner would be required to lift the top speed governed for state side Mustangs.

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 AM ----------

Yes I understand your point, I've had this debate before being on your side, but all I can say is sit down with your dealer and tell them what you would like to do.....you might just be surprised. Some dealers will give you a hard time about the smallest thing. I'm not, by any means, encouraging anyone to tune, there is always risk! What I should of said instead of my dealer told me to tune away,sorry was at work had to keep it short, is that it also states under the warranty section in our manuals that if there is a failure due to abuse or misuse it can also void your warranty. Meaning that if you have a dealer that gives you a hard time with something as simple as a Cai when you bring it in for service, you should cringe every time you red line it and hope you don't miss a shift and have something fail because they can say it was abuse and deny warranty work, let's face it 90% of us are guilty of driving our cars hard from time to time. For me its really no more of a risk than driving it hard. : ) BTW any dealer that says they will not void your warranty if they install your gears, unless its the factory 3.31, is full of it seeing as Ford does not offer a factory tune for anything other than 2.73 and 3.31. That's what I wanted to do originally but didn't want to tune.
Well stated. :good:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Question to ashpow24....was your Mustang bought in Germany? If so, is your top speed governed like the Mustangs in the United States, or can it drive within the autoban speed limits there in Germany?

If you brought it over from the states, then these questions are mute, which might explain why you are wanting to replace the driveshaft....don't forget though that a tuner would be required to lift the top speed governed for state side Mustangs.

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 AM ----------

Well stated. :good:
I purchased it over here but it is made to stateside specs, so top speed is governed at 115mph. I bought a tuner so that will bump it up a bit. But I do like driving fast and it seems a shame to not be able to out here

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Does this mean the "PINK STRIPED BEAST" is about to come out of storage?
Haha! Yes she is!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts