Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have lurked on these forums for quite a while, and found many threads very useful, and there have been a few that I found on my question, but they are closed, and do not answer my question exactly. I have a 2011 Mustang 5.0.

I purchased a JBA x pipe with cat deletes that came in this past friday. Currently I have stock headers, cats, h pipe, resonator pipes, and Roush Axle back exhaust. I started right in the morning saturday, following a guide I found for installing a Magneflow x pipe with cat deletes, as with a few very minor steps, everything should happen exactly the same. The part I am stuck on is the bolt on the passenger side that you have to access from the engine bay to remove the cat from the header. I cannot for the life of me get it to break free. I have tried wd-40, no go, then tried a recommendation of PB Blaster. That helped me break all the other bolts free except for this one. The one I cannot get free, I have tried a few different ways. I used almost 2.5 feet of extension with a pivot head, and 15mm socket all 3/8" and when I actually put weight against it, it feels like the bolt is throwing me off it. So I tried using a 15mm pivot head combo. Same thing happens. I have crawled under the car, and felt this bolt with the socket on it, and it is going on all the way, but the moment I take the wrench(which I am putting a longer copper tube over the handle for leverage) and try and turn it, while putting all 170 lbs of me against it, I get thrown off everytime. I have tried it with the car also having been running for a few mins to warm up, no go. The tools I have been using are craftsman tools, so I know they are high quality tools.

I have called a lot of local shops(12-15), and everyone is priced somewhere near 200 dollars. I will pay this if I have too, but it just seems crazy to spend 200 dollars more because I cannot get a single bolt out haha.

anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I am open to just about anything...and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wish I saw this post earlier today. I had my car ip on the rack and could've looked to see which bolt your talking about. I'll put it up tomorrow and see what we would do. Though im sure by then someone else may have an answer haha. I will say that the more extensions and or a swivel you have on it greatly reduces the amount of torque you are applying. Im also guessing you are using a 6 point and not a 12. If not then use a 6. If no one answers i will reply back in the morning.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
6 point socket? 12 points don't hold as good
Tried both. I will agree got the best grip with the 6 point.

Throwing you off? Do you mean that the socket slips off? Or do you mean something else?
yeah the socket slips off. But it does not feel so much that it is slipping off, than I am getting a backwards push against me and it pops off. Thought it might be the depth of the socket, so tried a deeper one, same issue.

Wish I saw this post earlier today. I had my car ip on the rack and could've looked to see which bolt your talking about. I'll put it up tomorrow and see what we would do. Though im sure by then someone else may have an answer haha. I will say that the more extensions and or a swivel you have on it greatly reduces the amount of torque you are applying. Im also guessing you are using a 6 point and not a 12. If not then use a 6. If no one answers i will reply back in the morning.
actually it is very hard to see from below, you can see this bolt by lifting up the hood of the car, and looking down the left side of the engine (passenger side) and looking towards the back of the car. It is sitting down there, and almost points towards the side wall of the engine bay. I know you loose torque, which I am guessing is my problem, but there is no other way to get to this bolt. You cannot access it from under the car. I can reach my hand blindly into a gap, and feel the bolt, barely see it from the right angle, but that is it. This video, shows him removing the bolt, and you can see where he has to be to remove it at 57 seconds in, UPR PRODUCTS OFFROAD X PIPE INSTALL 2011 2012 2013 MUSTANG GT 5.0 WITH JEREMY MARTORELLA - YouTube.

I have tried both, but mainly have used 6 point as I know they will grip better.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Got ya. Do you know anyone with an electric impact and impact sockets? That would do the trick. There is a product we use called super 44 which works better than pb blaster. You can get it from napa. Soak it in that a few hours. But if you can use an impact it shouldnt be a problem. Its dark and raining so i cant go look but can u get to it with any swivels? If so do that with a 6 point make sure you are pushing into the bolt at the same time trying to break it loose. I would use an actual breaker bar instead of a pipe on a ratchet its more controllable.

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
I get it now. You may already be doing this but make absolutely certain that as your are turning the ratchet that the extensions stay parallel to the head of the bolt, if you put any lateral force whatsoever on the ratchet (and subsequently the extensions) then the socket will slip off.

Basically make sure the extensions aren't leaning because then you would be causing a bad angle from socket to bolt head and it would pop off.

As stated above, an impact gun would certainly be I deal, otherwise make sure the extensions are in line with the bolt!

·
Registered
142 Posts
GrabberBlue5.0 said:
I get it now. You may already be doing this but make absolutely certain that as your are turning the ratchet that the extensions stay parallel to the head of the bolt, if you put any lateral force whatsoever on the ratchet (and subsequently the extensions) then the socket will slip off.

Basically make sure the extensions aren't leaning because then you would be causing a bad angle from socket to bolt head and it would pop off.

As stated above, an impact gun would certainly be I deal, otherwise make sure the extensions are in line with the bolt!
Very good advice here if you absolutely have to use swivels

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got ya. Do you know anyone with an electric impact and impact sockets? That would do the trick. There is a product we use called super 44 which works better than pb blaster. You can get it from napa. Soak it in that a few hours. But if you can use an impact it shouldnt be a problem. Its dark and raining so i cant go look but can u get to it with any swivels? If so do that with a 6 point make sure you are pushing into the bolt at the same time trying to break it loose. I would use an actual breaker bar instead of a pipe on a ratchet its more controllable.
I don't know anyone with one, and the price for buying one, might as well pay to have it installed. I was going to buy a compressed air powered impact wrench, but my dads compressor I would borrow is not strong enough to run one apparently.

Well maybe I will try that, as I don't have the money ATM to pay to have it installed. I'll soak it with the super 44 and try again. Would love to do it myself.
I really kid you not when I say it is in an insanely tight spot. i can barely put my finger on the bolt, muchless get a socket in there. the other three bolts you can get a socket wrench on, and I broke them free by doing that and a copper pipe for leverage.

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/files/48042-cust.pdf second picture of this guide shows its location. it is not that silver screw and bolt to the right of the arrow, but the one directly to the lower left of the arrow tip.

thanks for your help so far tho.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
poloka said:
What I found that does the trick is a squirt of carb cleaner and wd40. The wd40 lubes while the carb cleaner cuts in there.
JB Penetrating Lube!... It's like WD40 and carb cleaner rolled into one!..

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

well I think that is the problem. The bolt that needs to be removed, is angled towards the side wall of the engine compartment. So you cannot stay parallel to the bolt. With the position of the bolt, and what little room you have between the engine and the side wall, you are just at a bad angle wether you like it or not.

Have any of you done this install though? I thought it was going to be easier than this, until I really looked at this bolt. It truely is a setup to fail.

I agree an impact wrench would work, but previous post I listed my issue with that.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

JB Penetrating Lube!... It's like WD40 and carb cleaner rolled into one!..
tried this though, and it did absolutely nothing for me with this bolt. I even sprayed it on heavy, and let it sit over night. Saturday from about 10 p.m. to sunday around 11 a.m. when I decided to work on the car again.

:/

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
Yea I did the install, but I did it when I worked at an auto shop and had air tools. yea I understand how tight the spot is, but really being parallel is the only real way to get any torque worth while on the bolt, or air tools... do they rent those out at auto zone?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea I did the install, but I did it when I worked at an auto shop and had air tools. yea I understand how tight the spot is, but really being parallel is the only real way to get any torque worth while on the bolt, or air tools... do they rent those out at auto zone?
fair enough haha. I just checked autozone, good call out, but looks like that is one thing they dont rent. I never noticed there "free" rental program, but that is pretty awesome if I ever need any random tools that I would probably never use again.

Have you had anyone else give it a whirl?
yeah a few other people bigger than me. No dice. I am feeling the way to go is air tools. Just wishing my dads compresser was better haha. 50 dollar impact wrench vs 200 dollar install sounds amazing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rent a 1/2 impact from Autozone if u can find a decent compressor and or buy a cheap one from harbor freight... If u don't use it that much, buy it. If not then get the smallest extension u can on it with a shallow 6 point socket and try 1/2 instead of 3/8. But use a breaker bar... And as stated above, make sure the socket and ext. are straight as an arrow.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rent a 1/2 impact from Autozone if u can find a decent compressor and or buy a cheap one from harbor freight... If u don't use it that much, buy it. If not then get the smallest extension u can on it with a shallow 6 point socket and try 1/2 instead of 3/8. But use a breaker bar... And as stated above, make sure the socket and ext. are straight as an arrow.
i'll pick up another 6 inch half inch extension and a half inch pivot tomorrow and try that. Already have a half inch breaker bar and about 18 inches in 1/2 inch extension.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've used my floor jack bar as a breaker bar. Works pretty well. :)
haha that honestly was my first go to. Just my jack's bar has a funky bend it it closing up the end, and I couldn't fit it over the wrench. Great minds think alike haha.

·
Registered
698 Posts
nosympathy said:
haha that honestly was my first go to. Just my jack's bar has a funky bend it it closing up the end, and I couldn't fit it over the wrench. Great minds think alike haha.
Luckily mine has just the right opening to fit over my 1/2 ratchet. That is pretty funny. And I thought I was the only nut in here. Always can find the perfect tool for any job in a garage.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts