Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

i began hearing a grinding noise when i turn my car on and it runs on Idle. The sound can be heard best when you put your ear next to the Shifter.

It almost sounds like gears grinding together. It comes and it goes and it is also heard at times while driving.

i am thinking it may be a bad water pump. Any ideas? i have a video but for some reason i am unable to upload it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well to answer my own question. No, it was not the water pump 🤦🏻‍♂️!

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you can hear it at the shifter, I would think it's south of the flywheel.

Perhaps a noisy TO bearing to Noisy input shaft bearing or something in-between.

Just a guess to start you looking.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can hear it at the shifter, I would think it's south of the flywheel.

Perhaps a noisy TO bearing to Noisy input shaft bearing or something in-between.

Just a guess to start you looking.
Hey Jackson,

Thanks for the tip. I just changed the Transmission fluid yesterday and put in the Royal Purple Synchromax as the replacement and his also did not fix the issue.

With the cold weather in Texas right now my car drops to low RPMs when warming up since i have it on E85 and i notice the noisy grinding goes away. Also when accelerating at certain RPMs when there is little to no vibration being transferred from the exhaust. i figured it could be something other than the Transmission but i will have to look into replacing the Flywheel anyway. Car has 80K miles so it would not hurt to give it an upgrade.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts