Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good, quick and easy way to get rid of water spots? Washed my car yesterday, and tried drying it with a towel, but it leaves little pieces from the towel on the car. So I just said screw it, hosed the car down again and just let it dry. So of course, it now has water spots as I expected. Supposed to rain tomorrow though, but I really want the water spots off my car. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
566 Posts
What's a good, quick and easy way to get rid of water spots? Washed my car yesterday, and tried drying it with a towel, but it leaves little pieces from the towel on the car. So I just said screw it, hosed the car down again and just let it dry. So of course, it now has water spots as I expected. Supposed to rain tomorrow though, but I really want the water spots off my car. Any suggestions?
Get a shammy! Mines black and shows them like crazy but ill shammy it dry then go over after its completely dry with a microfiber

·
Registered
360 Posts
I get these shop disposable towels my grandpa buys at auctions for like a dollar or two for 150. Ill take a few and whip down my car and leaves not fuze or anything like that. Plus you can you them for wax and anything else as well I mean shoot put them on the dinner table!

·
Loc: Austin,TX
5,980 Posts
A lot of bad information in this thread. Towel,shop towel should never be used to wipe down a car because they can leave tiny little scratches in your paint.

#1 Dont wash your car in direct sunlight and let the surface of your vehicle cool before you wash it.

#2 Use a high quality soap that will keep the surface nice and slick while washing it with a high quality microfiber wash mit.

#3 This is important and will drastically reduce water spots....instead of spraying your car down with the jet or shower setting to rinse it use the sheeting method. Take the nozzle off the hose and turn the water down to a slow medium level. Start at the top of the car and work your way down holding the hose close to each section as not to cause any splashing. This will cause a "sheeting" effect and will make the water just run off the car and won't leave any water beading which makes it easier to dry.

#4 Use a high quality chamois or microfiber towel.

Follow these easy steps and you will reduce water spots. If you have any water spots when you are finished use a instant detailer.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
A lot of bad information in this thread. Towel,shop towel should never be used to wipe down a car because they can leave tiny little scratches in your paint.

#1 Dont wash your car in direct sunlight and let the surface of your vehicle cool before you wash it.

#2 Use a high quality soap that will keep the surface nice and slick while washing it with a high quality microfiber wash mit.

#3 This is important and will drastically reduce water spots....instead of spraying your car down with the jet or shower setting to rinse it use the sheeting method. Take the nozzle off the hose and turn the water down to a slow medium level. Start at the top of the car and work your way down holding the hose close to each section as not to cause any splashing. This will cause a "sheeting" effect and will make the water just run off the car and won't leave any water beading which makes it easier to dry.

Follow these easy steps and you will reduce water spots. If you have any water spots when you are finished use a instant detailer.
Thanks for the info.
Has anybody ever used a leaf blower to get the water off their car instead of towels.
Thinking about trying this since we just got a new one.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

+1.

Also, try not to drag your chamois or microfiber... Lay it down, pay it lift up, move to new section.

This also prevents fine scratches/circles.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, NEVER, EVER LET THE MICROFIBER TOUCH THE GROUND. Throw it away if it does. Washing it won't help. Small rocks/debris will be trapped and subsequent use will scratch your finish.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Has anybody ever used a leaf blower to get the water off their car instead of towels.
These guys have some great info, and as far as a leaf blower goes, yes you can use one, but youll still need a microfiber( im anti-shammi) to finish the job! Just make sure your not blowing your car off at the beach or the sahara desert ;)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
These guys have some great info, and as far as a leaf blower goes, yes you can use one, but youll still need a microfiber( im anti-shammi) to finish the job! Just make sure your not blowing your car off at the beach or the sahara desert ;)
Hahah no not at the beach or the sahara just in texas.lol.
Thanks for the info everyone.
I need to get me some more micro fiber towels.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Ok, thanks. :)

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

Thanks for the info.
Yeah, one of my friends said he uses a blow dryer and it basically just throws the water off the car. Lol.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Ok, thanks. :)

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

Yeah, one of my friends said he uses a blow dryer and it basically just throws the water off the car. Lol.
Im gona have to try our new leaf blower the next time I wash my car.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I do the same in a slight different fashion,
after #3 spray entire vehicle including glass with your favorite spray detailer, I use Adams :good:, then I use a $29 Sears leaf blower (only used for this) and blow water off the car, pay special attention to lights, markers, mirrors, glass and all crevices as they accumulate lots of water,I then use a microfiber towel to dry the remaining little water, if it dries before you get to fully dry it, spray the area with more spray detail and wipe with a dry MF towel, you will NEVER have water spots !;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
bluman said:
after #3 spray entire vehicle including glass with your favorite spray detailer, I use Adams :good:, then I use a $29 Sears leaf blower (only used for this) and blow water off the car, pay special attention to lights, markers, mirrors, glass and all crevices as they accumulate lots of water,I then use a microfiber towel to dry the remaining little water, if it dries before you get to fully dry it, spray the area with more spray detail and wipe with a dry MF towel, you will NEVER have water spots !;)
+500000000000000 after owning a black car I do the same except blow dry with an air compressor on my new 2013

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I will be doing that when I wash my car this week.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts