Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's here! I just had to give this bad boy a try. I'll know how it performs in two(2) weeks. Some quick cellphone pics of the unit...

image-907089409.jpg

image-3182418467.jpg

image-4109137224.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2011-2012 model years didn't have a package including the Torsen diff, but if we wanted we could spring for one via Ford Racing. I decided to go with this instead. It is similar to the Torsen(helical gears), but it is suppose to have a few benefits... the jury is still out on whether it is just hype, but I'll find out for myself.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That looks bad ass dude I would love to know that was helping put the power to the ground on my stang. If I can ask a n00bish question, if I'm having gears installed would it be labor efficient to have a differential put in at the same time?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
roushcoyotepony said:
That looks bad ass dude I would love to know that was helping put the power to the ground on my stang. If I can ask a n00bish question, if I'm having gears installed would it be labor efficient to have a differential put in at the same time?
Yes because it has to come out anyway.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wondering why your replacing the stock diff ?
I was originally going to keep it safe and go with the Boss 302 Torsen(2.7 bias ratio version). I wanted to steer towards more of a daily driver/occasional road course track day-car. I wanted to replace the Trac-loc(clutch-type) LSD with a helical gear-type(torque-biasing) differential. In no way was the stock rear diff malfunctioning... I'm just hoping that this rear diff can take a bit of abuse.

---------- Post added at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

Because young grasshopper, he can.
You know what... you are right! I can't wait to see how this diff puts power to the ground!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was originally going to keep it safe and go with the Boss 302 Torsen(2.7 bias ratio version). I wanted to steer towards more of a daily driver/occasional road course track day-car. I wanted to replace the Trac-loc(clutch-type) LSD with a helical gear-type(torque-biasing) differential. In no way was the stock rear diff malfunctioning... I'm just hoping that this rear diff can take a bit of abuse.
I am assuming b/c of the maintenance of the clutch type LSD?

I would like to know why Ford went with the gear type LSD for their "performance" packages.

If I understand correctly, the gear style LSD (Quaife, Wavetrac, Torsen) behave as a open diff under decel or when one wheel loses all traction, so you are trading off some performance benefits for the low maintenance.

Good luck with the Wavetrac!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am assuming b/c of the maintenance of the clutch type LSD?

I would like to know why Ford went with the gear type LSD for their "performance" packages.

If I understand correctly, the gear style LSD (Quaife, Wavetrac, Torsen) behave as a open diff under decel or when one wheel loses all traction, so you are trading off some performance benefits for the low maintenance.

Good luck with the Wavetrac!
Thanks. Maintenance and wear characteristics of a clutch-type diff was a factor in my decision.

You are correct in the gear-style diff's behavior, but I went with this diff according to the manufacturer's claims...

"Wavetrac®: Designed from a clean sheet using state-of-the-art knowledge and engineering to be a better differential than any other. It uses a patented design to improve grip in low traction conditions.
Wavetrac®: Gives you quicker acceleration and faster cornering by driving both drive wheels instead of just one. And, it offers improved no-load performance when compared to other helical gear differentials on the market."

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: It took a little longer than I was expecting, but Wavetrac has been recently installed. Mechanic said it was a pretty straight forward install. He used new bearings, too. With my very limited use with it, everything is functioning smoothly. Acceleration seems good... deceleration is okay, but I think I can hear some gear harmonics around 1.5-2k rpm's... no unusual occurrences in reverse. I can't wait for warmer weather! I'll report back after I log some miles on it and do a little spirited driving.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Can't wait to hear more reports on this. It's an interesting & different solution to the problem. I'm looking at this unit for when I eventually burn out my stock diff (from reports lots of autocrossing will do that).

One thing I'm curious about is how the C clips fit. I've read about some issues on early run units, I wonder if the reports that they resolved this are true.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can't wait to hear more reports on this. It's an interesting & different solution to the problem. I'm looking at this unit for when I eventually burn out my stock diff (from reports lots of autocrossing will do that).

One thing I'm curious about is how the C clips fit. I've read about some issues on early run units, I wonder if the reports that they resolved this are true.
There are two(2) sets of C-clips supplied in the package. Depending on your axle diameter size inside the C-clip groove, it will dictate which size C-clips to use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts