Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, like many of you, I am irritated I have no place to mount my phone that looks clean in the car. I use GPS frequently on my iPhone 5 and I have an older iPhone 4 dedicated for the DashCommand app (using GoPoint Bluetooth ODBII transmitter).

For a while, I had a mount adhered to my dash using double sided tape. But it looked ghetto.

So, I decided to fabricate something.

Please note, I have never actually fabricated anything in my life. But I tend to be OCD and methodical so I gave it a shot.

So the only logical place I could attempt this mounting bracket of sorts would be aft to the overhead console.

This placement would also make it difficult for those looking through my windows to see that I have an iPhone mounted overhead opposed to mounted on the dash which would be be very obvious that I have an iPhone visible thus encouraging a break in.

I used very a thin aluminum sheet (.025 thick) and bender, snips, and pliers.

First, I made a card board template. And transferred to the aluminum.

Then began cutting and bending... Eventually did a lot of trimming and adjusting in the car before I realized how easy the overhead console popped out. (Dumb).

Long story short(er), I used plastidip on the bracket, leaving a void for industrial Velcro that will ultimately hold the iPhone 4. Also plastidip the stainless band on the iPhone 4 so it wouldn't stand out in the car if someone does see it.

The bracket is attached inside the console (l bend) using 3M extreme double sides tape. The rest of the bracket essentially is a lever that holds the weight by resting in the bottom groove of the overhead console. This thing ain't going anywhere!!!

Let me know what you guys think!
Here are the pics!!! (This might take a number of posts)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Ahhhhhh next weekend project in my 02 GT. My Dad is a certified TinSmith with his own tin shop and I'm currently his apprentice, this will be a perfect little project for me to make up in the shop next week

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NJstanger said:
Ahhhhhh next weekend project in my 02 GT. My Dad is a certified TinSmith with his own tin shop and I'm currently his apprentice, this will be a perfect little project for me to make up in the shop next week
Nice... Make me one that doesn't look like mine!! Haha. It came out decent, but clearly not perfect. I just don't have the right tools or skill.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
That looks really badass. I might look into doing something like that to mount my phone since I use it for music etc. There really isn't a good place to put my phone so it usually just chills in the cupholder.

Also had to smile at the first photo because I have friends that work for hillman in Cincinnati.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Nice subtle add. Looks good. Don't give out all the trade secrets lol. Trademark it. Haha make some $$ once you get it perfect. Or sell the idea.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
08SteedaQ350 said:
Nice subtle add. Looks good. Don't give out all the trade secrets lol. Trademark it. Haha make some $$ once you get it perfect. Or sell the idea.
Not gonna lie if someone made a kit for this I would buy that instead of having to make one myself.

Not a big fab guy.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
UltArc said:
Personally, I think this is brilliant. I will definitely be doing this myself when it becomes too cold to mod the outside.

Would you mind giving us a guide to how you built it in words? How you detached the main piece, attached your creation, so on. Please?
Thanks everyone.

To detach the console, gently wedge your finger between the headrest and console... Begin to pull down, the pressure clips are on the left ad right sides... Basically, pull the console straight down. Once down, disconnect the console light/motion sensor plug.

As far as mounting, double sided (3m extreme) is used on the inside lip of the console to the "tabs". A space is needed to accommodate the "passenger airbag" warning light.

The edge the lowest part essentially locks in place into the bottom slot on the console.

I wish i had the cardboard template... But I tossed it.

These are some crude drawing of what I started with... But clearly, I ended up trimming the pieces on the fly. The important part was the side. "Triangle" angle. Also note, that the headliner curves up slightly, so that "triangle" has a bend up.

Hope that made sense.

One final note, when you disconnect the console (and plug), you will essentially cause the car alarm system to "fault" without the motion sensor. Will lock and set fine, but when you go in to reinstall it, after reconnecting, exit the car, lock, unlock then start the car... Not a big deal if you don't, but you'll get a security system warning in the display center. Exiting the car, locking, unlocking will reset it.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well done, well thought out, and very cool mod!

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
nhcowboy said:
So, like many of you, I am irritated I have no place to mount my phone that looks clean in the car. I use GPS frequently on my iPhone 5 and I have an older iPhone 4 dedicated for the DashCommand app (using GoPoint Bluetooth ODBII transmitter).

For a while, I had a mount adhered to my dash using double sided tape. But it looked ghetto.

So, I decided to fabricate something.

Please note, I have never actually fabricated anything in my life. But I tend to be OCD and methodical so I gave it a shot.

So the only logical place I could attempt this mounting bracket of sorts would be aft to the overhead console.

This placement would also make it difficult for those looking through my windows to see that I have an iPhone mounted overhead opposed to mounted on the dash which would be be very obvious that I have an iPhone visible thus encouraging a break in.

I used very a thin aluminum sheet (.025 thick) and bender, snips, and pliers.

First, I made a card board template. And transferred to the aluminum.

Then began cutting and bending... Eventually did a lot of trimming and adjusting in the car before I realized how easy the overhead console popped out. (Dumb).

Long story short(er), I used plastidip on the bracket, leaving a void for industrial Velcro that will ultimately hold the iPhone 4. Also plastidip the stainless band on the iPhone 4 so it wouldn't stand out in the car if someone does see it.

The bracket is attached inside the console (l bend) using 3M extreme double sides tape. The rest of the bracket essentially is a lever that holds the weight by resting in the bottom groove of the overhead console. This thing ain't going anywhere!!!

Let me know what you guys think!
Here are the pics!!! (This might take a number of posts)
Ummmm how much to make me one hahaha? And what little gadget you using to get the info of the car to ur phone??

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Charlie_santos said:
Ummmm how much to make me one hahaha? And what little gadget you using to get the info of the car to ur phone??
The OBDII transmitter is made by GoPoint (Bluetooth model), and the iPhone app is DashCommand.

The app is a bit pricey... And many have combined about it being a bit flaky with other brand OBDII transmitters (those are usually wifi). As the iPhone is dedicated to this purpose, it works great for me. Very good refresh rates on the iPhone 4. Not so good on iPhone 3G.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts