Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright when i hit the thottle there is a weird noise and the exhaust note doesnt sound the same... i dont know how to describe it but it sounds like a go kart or a tapping.. it gets louder as i speed up and loud when im in a high gear...
when i lift the hood it sounds like its coming from near the thottle body

it kinda makes me mad because i just bought the car and theres no warranty:/

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

why does it sound like this? - YouTube
heres a short video..

·
Registered
630 Posts
Is the sound coming from the engine itself? Or somewhere back behind?

It sounds to me like an exhaust leak, maybe a bad exhaust gasket.

·
Registered
50 Posts
+1 on the head gasket. Same thing happened to mine. My suggestion would be to get a mechanics stethoscope and find exactly where it's coming from. There's so many different noises going on under the hood it's hard to pick one out and know where it's coming from without a stethoscope

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i dont think itd be a head gasket, because theres no smoke and the oil look fine

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just watched the vid I dident see it the first time I read it I had a Chevy blazer once that intake gasket went out sounded real similar to that wasnt broke in a place by a water jacket so no Antifreeze any where j

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

And it's deffently coming from the throttle body kinda sounds like a donut gasket be

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

I just watched the vid I dident see it the first time I read it I had a Chevy blazer once that intake gasket went out sounded real similar to that wasnt broke in a place by a water jacket so no Antifreeze any where j

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

And your sure it's deffently coming from the throttle body kinda sounds like a donut gasket where the header meets the down pipe

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

You can stick you hand down where the header hits the down pipe when the motors cold of corse have some one rev it up you should be able to feel the exhaust coming out if that's what it is

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also there no lights coming up on the dash and the car drives good still... i feel like my car looks awesome but sounds like im driving a hoopty honda..

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm really thinking its an exhaust leak from somewhere.. check for exhaust leaks on rev like the guy above suggested and let us know.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Ac drain? Is it a hard line hitting the exhaust? If so, it could possibly be knocking on the exhaust at rev... seems kinda flimsy but its possible, may explain why you don't hear it when its idling

·
Registered
64 Posts
Those hard lines can be bent a little bit just be carefull and you can get it off there prolly not good for a line that gets super cold to touch somthing that hot could cause the line to burst I watched the clip a few more times I'm with blood I'm 90% sure it's an exhaust leak it's the manifold gasket or donut gasket

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
When you say a/c drain do you mean a line or the drip area...because the drip on a 99-04 causes a common manifold crack

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@1slosix yeah the drip area the other day i got out and heard a sound like water steaming but drips, it was on the passagnger side dripping on the exhaust, my old sixxer used to drip straight to the ground

·
Premium Member
19,578 Posts
Your passenger manifold is cracked/broken at the collector flange. Best bet is buy a pair of 94-98 manifolds from a junk yard.
Common issue with these cars.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wish but i gotta pay the car payment coming up... i just wanna get it good and running.. can it just be taken to a exhaust shop and be welded?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts