Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 4 years. Military... just found out this morning, heart is still racing. Have 6 months to get everything in order. Sadly that'll probably involve selling the Mustang AS IS. My wife is losing it right now because she has to get rid of some of the animals we have... sucks right now but in the long run it'll be really really good.

When I return I'll have 18 months left till I have the option to do a full 20 year retirement from the USAF and will go from there.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
At least it's not Iraq.....good luck and thanks for your service. I was just at Seymore Johnson AFB over the weekend for an air show. Utmost respect to you guys.

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
One of the few countries I've been to where I would consider living....but it was 25 yrs ago and I know the economies are way different now.

5 1/2 yrs left...stick it out if you can at all. You should be young enough to have a even better 2nd 1/2 of your life.

J

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
What part?

I was in Madrid and Malaga for 2 months over the summer. Gets a little too hot but not a bad place to live.

No way of taking the animals??

Instagram: @v6beast

·
Registered
428 Posts
For 4 years. Military... just found out this morning, heart is still racing. Have 6 months to get everything in order. Sadly that'll probably involve selling the Mustang AS IS. My wife is losing it right now because she has to get rid of some of the animals we have... sucks right now but in the long run it'll be really really good.

When I return I'll have 18 months left till I have the option to do a full 20 year retirement from the USAF and will go from there.

4 years? I thought overseas assignments were 2 or 3 years...wth

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4 years AFIAK right now, just got the assignment listing this morning.

Have found out since through more research that we can take 2 of our dogs and most of our cats. 5 pets total with a potential workaround for a few more but... they are cats... The ****tiest thing his my Irish Wolfhound is going to have to go back to his breeders... I'm real upset about that... might try to find a way to take him but he's 170lbs... Have to see how much shipping costs for dogs. Cats you can just carry on the plane and some dogs under a certain weight.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You may want to double check tour length...4 years is usually only for an extended long tour and you have to be a volunteer. Unless it's some special assignment, then all bets are off 😀

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may want to double check tour length...4 years is usually only for an extended long tour and you have to be a volunteer. Unless it's some special assignment, then all bets are off 😀
USAF, its probably extended long, most ppl here do those length tours although it could be shorter. I'll find out today probably. Can't sleep ugh... Excited but the list of stuff I have to get done in 6 months seems crazy... its mostly just selling off my reptile collection (easy honestly) and then either selling or parting my project Mustang. The only other PITA thing will be arranging for the pets to come with but that's just paperwork.

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
First, thanks for your service; much appretiated in my household. If you need a place to store the project Mustang, perhaps there can be some help.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Spain will be nice. Maybe you can go to bull fighting school :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thank you for your service.
Did 3 years in Rota Spain a long time ago, fixing SSBN's.
Good times, your family should enjoy it.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First, thanks for your service; much appretiated in my household. If you need a place to store the project Mustang, perhaps there can be some help.
I could get the USAF to store it free... but then I give up any rights to have a vehicle I get over there shipped back on the return leg. Probably would regret it IMO. I'm going to list it as a whole project at first and aggressively push it on forums/fb and if it doesn't sell... I can make most of my money back parting it. :( I was told by 3 or 4 ppl I should part it when I got it and make $1k.

Spain will be nice. Maybe you can go to bull fighting school :)
Lol, I'll fill out the High Risk Activity form and get on it! :)

Or...pick up an European right-hand drive Mustang and bring back to the States at the end of your tour 😁
Lmao, if I bring anything back it'll be a real nice BMW I get over there tax/duty free for the cheaper European dealer prices than here. I'm having my beater Honda shipped over as its reliable, it can transport our dogs and it gets good mileage and its nondescript. It also checks the box for allowing me to ship something back on the return trip.

Thank you for your service.
Did 3 years in Rota Spain a long time ago, fixing SSBN's.
Good times, your family should enjoy it.
Thanks, I hope so. The wife and kid were in full freakout mode yesterday but already the kid is fine and my wife... she'll need a little time to wrap her head around it. But she was looking at all different places to visit in Europe already. Military hotels all over at $60 a night make it pretty economical to visit a lot of places as does the Patriot Express via Space-A.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey thanks to all who said thanks to me. TBTH, this is a good deal not a hardship. Its going to suck the next few months getting rid of my reptiles and my Mustang and going through our entire life's worth of stuff and getting rid of all the junk we've accumulated but that's probably a good thing. Rota, Spain has amazing weather, amazing food, people are great, local to a TON of awesome stuff, access to all of Europe via car/rail and gorgeous beaches are a 10-15 minute walk from the base. Went through there numerous times when I was flying, its a great location.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
My other option to keep the Mustang I have been thinking of... drop in that 4V asap NA and get a mail order tune for a "stock" 99/01 Cobra/Mach. Everything else on the car works 100% minus a few cosmetic things it needs. Car only has 34k miles on it, my beater truck and Honda are both in the 120-140k range...

I mean if I'm just doing a simple 4V swap with all stock parts and no bells and whistles I coudl probably have it running pretty quick... hmmm... Would be fun as hell to have that car in Spain and I could sell it when I leave and make a ton of $$$ since you can't get them there.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anything like that would be on the return leg in 4 years and I'm not going to pretend to know what the situation will be then. Hell, if we LOVE it over there we might go so far as to stay longer. If I make E-7 we could.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
My other option to keep the Mustang I have been thinking of... drop in that 4V asap NA and get a mail order tune for a "stock" 99/01 Cobra/Mach. Everything else on the car works 100% minus a few cosmetic things it needs. Car only has 34k miles on it, my beater truck and Honda are both in the 120-140k range...

I mean if I'm just doing a simple 4V swap with all stock parts and no bells and whistles I coudl probably have it running pretty quick... hmmm... Would be fun as hell to have that car in Spain and I could sell it when I leave and make a ton of $$$ since you can't get them there.
Now you are using your cabeza for something other than a hat rack! (You just got your first Spanish lesson)

You should be able to get that car running in a few weekends. And even if you don't end up shipping it overseas, it will be worth more to someone as a running vehicle.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts