Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just curious about this one. i have a 302 V8 in my 77 mustang and i was told it already has a better cam installed from the previous owner, but i just wanted to know myself what all has to be done to the engine for a higher performance cam to be installed. like is it as easy as removing the old one and putting the new one in and putting it back together? hahaha... i have rebuilt small gas engines many times but never a V8 or car engine so if anyone could help me out that would be awesome.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The more radical the Cam is, the more is required to make it function properly. A mild cam can be installed using all stock parts, but to go wild with the cam requires some research in order to get the right parts. I can absolutely believe that the previous owner put a mild cam in it. For a 77 302, I would certainly consider an Edelbrock performer power package, of even a performer RPM package, since it is in basically a light pinto chassis. The RPM cam works best if you use the heads, and intake, to match. So it is quite an investment. To get really crazy with a cam requires a full engine build specifically to run with it, or you wont get the expected performance. Just a really basic answer, and I hope it helps a little

·
Registered
33 Posts
A cam is built, or ground with a specific amount of lift and duration. changing these numbers is the difference between a mild and a radical cam. Too much lift and you can bend valves too much duration and not enough lift and you have lag.
when you change a cam, always replace the lifters at the same time and consider gears and a chain as needed. With a more radical cam, you may need to up the fuel supply and the spark output=MSD. Then have it dialed in by someone that knows how.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For a small cam you don't really need to do anything... A mild cam you'll need to do things like stronger valve springs... For a big cam you'll need to do alot more,bigger springs,stud girdle,stronger valve locks,stronger pushrods.. For just a street car you don't need to go too big.... Maybe like a 270-280 duration,or even alittle smaller then that...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts