Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Those are coil spring "boosters" something I have not seen in years, I thought they went away with buggy whips (turns out they can still be had ). They were most often used to "fix" (in a most half-assed manner) sagging springs, or to lift the suspension on bubba-mobiles where the beer budget was three to ten times the parts budget.

I have no idea why they would be on a mustang, unless someone installed some older model or other springs in a cheap lowering attempt. The big problem is that in short order the point concentrations of stress they create damages the spring.

You can take them out however unless that car sits high now it may be a ground hugger without them...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Thanks man any idea how to take out
Jack up the front end so that the wheel is hanging (spring extended), and use a wrench to twist them out. Some have a hex, some have a square recess for a 1/2" ratchet or bar--yours look like the latter. As I said above unless your car sits quite high now you may find you need new springs...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I took them out and there is no difference so I have no clue
On really soft springs they were sometimes used to stiffen the suspension and prevent "bottoming out"--often breaking the spring if hit hard enough.

Did they have the recess for a 1/2" drive tool?

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
R6man said:
In the day, we ran our tires wider than the fenders. The nuckle kept the fenders from cutting the tires by reducing spring travel.

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

I've seen cars with 3 per spring before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts