Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
i am new new to the forum and i want to do a transmission swap, i have a 97 gt and i want to swap in a manual trans. What do i need, besides tranmission, is it the T45?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Yes it's the t-45. You need a new computer also and the wiring harness for the tranny. You'll also probably need a new boot to go around your shifter. That should be about it.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Oh yeah, the pedal assembly, a clutch cable, and a clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and throw-out bearing.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
computer, wiring harness (not sure which one exactly but probably just tranny area, for reverse lights and the little stuff), shifter, transmission, bell housing, flywheel, chain for the starter (maybe maybe not), shifter boot, shifter knob, clutch disk, clutch pressure plate, pilot bearing, fork arm, pivot ball stud, throw out bearing, tranny cross member, tranny mounts, drive shaft yoke, vss sensor (may be identical just a thought), i would change the rear mail seal on the tranny and reseal the front of the tranny and check the input shaft lash to make sure its in spec. finally 3 quarts of fluid for the tranny.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
sell the car and buy another one, the resale value will drop like a rock, most can get a full conversion kit for 1500~ with USED tranny and probably used clutch stuff of course..... a t-45 is a pretty cheap tranny, new for around 900 bucks

·
Registered
47 Posts
You do not need another computer.

Pull your dashpod and remove the "OD" lightbulb since it'll flash at you due to the new transmission error...it's not there anymore...

You'll also notice a slight hesitation as the EEC retards the engine for 1/2 second to allow for a downshift when you stop on the gas.

You can easily fix it with an aftermarket chip that'll remove your AOD/AODE functions.

I converted my car and have the same computer. You'll be able to run the car just fine until you get the funds to get the functions disabled.

If you decide to get another computer, there's always the resetting of the anti-theft stuff at the Ford Dealer or having it turned off with an aftermarket chip or microtuner.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Go to a local scrap and/or salvage yard and get what you need. You'll save hundreds instead of buying someone's "kit".

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
i would get the right computer or a chip to fix it, its getto to remove a bulb.... do it right or dont do it at all, it may very well work but its well worth it to do it right the first time, cutting corners only leads to spending more money and more worry about a problem later on. Its still a much better idea to just sell the car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
SpectorV said:
i would get the right computer or a chip to fix it, its getto to remove a bulb.... do it right or dont do it at all, it may very well work but its well worth it to do it right the first time, cutting corners only leads to spending more money and more worry about a problem later on. Its still a much better idea to just sell the car.
I agree it's ghetto, but if you have to do the swap in stages, removing the bulb is alot better than putting black tape on that annoying blinking light :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts