Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here one for the guys who do engine swaps. How would you go about figuring about what's the biggest engine you can fit in your car with any huge mods just the usual (engine mounts, etc.). Say I wanted to fit a 523 Pro Street Series V8 in a 1972 Chevelle, or a 418 Ford Windsor V8 in a 1973 Mustang. What would I need to do to figure out if it would fit without heavy customization? Well, thank you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's not about cubic inches. For once :)

It's about the type of block. In Chevy, you have big blocks and small blocks. If the car was originally built with a big block available, one should drop right in with the right engine mounts. Otherwise, you need to compare the stock engine to the desired engine and look at clearances. Obviously the mounts you get determine where exactly the engine will sit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
any bbc can bolt in in the chevelle, the stock frame mounts for a small blockmustang should work why not go for a chevy crate 572 with 620 hp from chevy

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry never heard of either engine!
I think it is a 351 Ford Windsor and the 523... I have no idea, unless you are thinking of stroked engines. In any case I would go with the 454 big block Chevy engine for the Chevelle and a 302 small block in the Mustang....both, bolt ins! If you want... stroke the cranks and do some porting on the heads, esp/ the Ford. Use some aftermarket stuff and you got some sweet but illegal engines. Remember you can not forget about the smog laws....LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts