Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year is a good motor to get out of the fox body's? I have the chance to buy a 1988 mustang GT motor for 150.00 dollars. Been kind of wanting to get one to rebuild for fun and do a few mods too. Is this a good one to get or should I look for one that was MAF?

·
Banned
422 Posts
You can always convert it to mass air, which is highly recomended if your modding the motor. Do you have a car to put the motor in?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sybesma07 said:
What year is a good motor to get out of the fox body's? I have the chance to buy a 1988 mustang GT motor for 150.00 dollars. Been kind of wanting to get one to rebuild for fun and do a few mods too. Is this a good one to get or should I look for one that was MAF?
I'd look for a 302 motor that was built with forged pistons. Don't quote me on this, but I believe the 88-90 motors all came with them, maybe someone else can chime in if I'm incorrect.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
rwsmith3623 said:
I'd look for a 302 motor that was built with forged pistons. Don't quote me on this, but I believe the 88-90 motors all came with them, maybe someone else can chime in if I'm incorrect.
86-92 came with forged pistons, but86 was flat tops.

·
Registered
914 Posts
93slowstang said:
Yes that would be correct. :good:
I just wanted to make sure i was correct thanks :) ive only ever rebuilt one 302 but it was stock rods crank just trw forged pistons. I could rebuild a engine every day but that would cost money.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
keaton5.0 said:
You can always convert it to mass air, which is highly recomended if your modding the motor. Do you have a car to put the motor in?
Yeah I have a 1986 mustang GT that's really nice and mainly all original except for a B303 cam and few bolt ons and also have switch it to MAF. I would probably buy another car to put it in or maybe swap it once this one gets more miles. Just want to build a motor in my free time. Nothing extreme. Anything from 12's to a mid 13 would be great. Then maybe add a turbo or supercharger to it.

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

rwsmith3623 said:
What fun would that be if someone else built it and I don't just trust anyone to buy a built motor from. If I was to buy a built motor, it would buy the ford 306ci crate motor E303 cam with 340hp they have.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sybesma07 said:
Yeah I have a 1986 mustang GT that's really nice and mainly all original except for a B303 cam and few bolt ons and also have switch it to MAF. I would probably buy another car to put it in or maybe swap it once this one gets more miles. Just want to build a motor in my free time. Nothing extreme. Anything from 12's to a mid 13 would be great. Then maybe add a turbo or supercharger to it.

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

What fun would that be if someone else built it and I don't just trust anyone to buy a built motor from. If I was to buy a built motor, it would buy the ford 306ci crate motor E303 cam with 340hp they have.
They came from the factory with forged pistons. So ford built the motors. That's why I would trust them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts