Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
NicholasP said:
What happens when you park an auto in neutral?
It will roll if on an incline and the park brake off

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
NicholasP said:
What happens when you park an auto in neutral?
Body damage and angry neighbors.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
NicholasP said:
Well I meant if you put the parking brake on obviously hahaha
No worries. I've got an auto too.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Probably wont be able to pull the key out of the ignition
THIS..... or the key will pull out and as long as the parking break is set your car will just sit there. You should probably put your car in park though, it's part of your cars proper operating procedure. There is no telling what is really effected in the computer... and really, why would you ever need to park your auto in neutral?

·
ME Bloodhound
14,699 Posts
THIS..... or the key will pull out and as long as the parking break is set your car will just sit there. You should probably put your car in park though, it's part of your cars proper operating procedure. There is no telling what is really effected in the computer... and really, why would you ever need to park your auto in neutral?
Exactly, or be like me whenever i drive my truck. I can pull the keys out while driving... I'll be on the highway and if i have a passenger that doesn't know i'll take the keys out and say "Catch!!", they get freaked out so badly lol.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Soccerluvr4 said:
Exactly, or be like me whenever i drive my truck. I can pull the keys out while driving... I'll be on the highway and if i have a passenger that doesn't know i'll take the keys out and say "Catch!!", they get freaked out so badly lol.
Bro that's freak sweet!!!

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
If you're considering leaving your car in neutral to take strain off of park. The best thing you can do is set the E brake and then put it in park. When you're on an incline setting the brake first would prevent a hard disengage of park when leaving.

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you're considering leaving your car in neutral to take strain off of park. The best thing you can do is set the E brake and then put it in park. When you're on an incline setting the brake first would prevent a hard disengage of park when leaving.

Having driven a manual car in the past I do this naturally. I never really thought of it as keeping strain off of my parking "gear" but I suppose it would serve this purpose. I always pull into a parking spot and then set my parking break before taking my foot off the break, then i shift to park. I did this for 6 years on my last car (DD was an auto, sold it all for the mustang) and never had any problems. I would say that your safe fallowing this method... and allot safer than leaving your car in neutral.

when you get back in your car, start up, foot on break, shift to R (or D if you back in) then let the parking break out. You will never feel the transmission shift from park to another gear.

·
Registered
809 Posts
tried this on my 2012 today just for kicks... you can not remove the key without first putting the transmission in park. So "parking in neutral" is not an option with an auto.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I park in neutral a lot actually. You can remove the key and I usually to it of I'm delivering something or if I'm not going to be somewhere long OR I need to make a high speed getaway

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Whitelightning said:
I park in neutral a lot actually. You can remove the key and I usually to it of I'm delivering something or if I'm not going to be somewhere long OR I need to make a high speed getaway
How do u take out the key? My car doesn't let me?? 2012 v6

1 - 20 of 40 Posts