Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying some heads when I get my taxes this year don't know what to get
I have a brand new 308 short block I am building up using my x303 cam gt40 intake manifold and 24lb injectors stuck between choosing the head somebody help eventually I want 500 to the wheels and not much more
And my car has 4.10s and a t5

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
My dad is using afr 185r heads and they made a HUGE difference

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Are they going to be better than track heat 185s or 170s
Afr is the best head u can get for a sbf

·
Banned
776 Posts
I have a set on my dining room table that'll be installed this Spring. I "think" from my research that they would be great for your build.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am trying to get more bang for my buck I am trying to find some flow numbers between afr and trick flows 185s

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I am trying to get more bang for my buck I am trying to find some flow numbers between afr and trick flows 185s
My friend had some trick flows and switched to afr 165 and he said it was a completely different car

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm curious about the Gt40 intake holding back these heads as well. The only manifold for sale on AFRs website is the edelbrock rpm 2 so I assume its the best flowing. A little expensive tho.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have a brand new 308 short block I am building up using my x303 cam gt40 intake manifold and 24lb injectors stuck between choosing the head somebody help eventually I want 500 to the wheels and not much more
Your not gonna get 500 rwhp unless you do a stroker and and power adder.

I'm running a 308 with HCI , 30lb injectors and I'm at 310rwhp

My brother has a 347 stroker motor with AFR 225 heads and the Holley System Max II intake and he's dynoed in at 445rwhp

·
Registered
201 Posts
Why not just throw a T trim vortech on your already h/c/i setup? I don't think the V-3 would push enough boost for 500hp but the V-1 should.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Why not just throw a T trim vortech on your already h/c/i setup? I don't think the V-3 would push enough boost for 500hp but the V-1 should.
But will the V-1 add 200 + rwhp ? That's alot of boost on a stock block

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

The safest way would be stroker with 6-8 psi on a safe tune!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've seen 550hp at the crank on a somewhat stock block LS1 from a V-1. I guess you'd really need a beefed up 302 setup tho. It wouldn't seem very streetable at all tho.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I've seen 550hp at the crank on a somewhat stock block LS1 from a V-1. I guess you'd really need a beefed up 302 setup tho. It wouldn't seem very streetable at all tho.
Yea the v-1 is rated to 20psi and that stock 302 most likely would split right down .

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

Are your internals forged in your 308 shortblock ?

·
Banned
422 Posts
DSS Racing sells a main girdle that they claim enables a stock 302 block to handle 650+, but you will still need a good tune

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't want all 500 right now just always to buy stuff to support it till I throw a turbo on it
I been reading on the afr 185s alot and it doesn't sound like they work on a stock block so that's not good for me right now since I don't have the money to buy new pistons with valve releifs

1 - 20 of 23 Posts