Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good 1960 to 1975, maybe a little more, era muscle car? I know the classics, Mustang, GTO and Challenger. Generally speaking, what is a good muscle car with a decent engine, handling, chassis, brakes, etc. Safest and most efficient one basically.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You should also consider that such a car may be expensive to insure. Check your insurance rates before buying one, for example here - carinsurance.deep-ice.com

·
Registered
48 Posts
"...decent engine, handling, chassis, brakes, etc" None of them.

A new Honda Civic Si coupe will smoke any stoke traditional muscle car in any sort of race, expect maybe a straight line of a ½ mile or less. The new Si has 197 hp net by current measurement methods - that translates into about 300 hp by mid-1960's measurement methods.

On most of the traditional muscle cars, disk brakes were an option, or not even available. A new car will stop from 80mph in a bit over 200 ft. Traditional muscle cars required 300 ft or more.

Handling - dream on, a new sporty Corolla or Civic will pull well over 0.8g on a skid-pad. Even the best traditional muscle cars were at 0.7g, and typically around 0.6g.

Fuel economy - in a traditional muscle car, getting over 10 mpg was considered very good.

Just based on your question, there is no way you should drive a traditional muscle car, you would not be able to handle the lack of modern brakes, handling, efficiency, etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Avanti, Studebaker had a winner in that one.
This was in fact the first muscle car of the 60's that followed what would become known a the "Pony Car" class.
As usual Studebaker was just a few years early in the concept and paid the price.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I once owned a '69 Poniac Grand Prix. It had class and a really fast 428ci engine. It was fun to drive and had good brakes and steering.
Find one that is not worn out and you will be pleased.
I sold it and bought a '72 Olds family car for my wife and kids.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mustang and Camaro were more of Pony cars. They were used more for circuit racing than drag racing.

The famous Drag Racing cars of that Era were the GTO and Chevelle SS and Challenger/Cuda.

I think the Chevelle was the best Muscle car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts