Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked all over, but nothing directly says what is needed to balance an engine. I have a 4.2 that i need balanced to tolerate up to 6500 rpm, not that I'll ever go that high. I have the pistons, rods, crank, balance shaft, cam should be coming soon, piston rings coming soon too, harmonic balancer (0 balance for 0 internally balanced). One post said something about needing a pressure plate, and after I thought about it, why would I need that, it sits on the shaft from the transmission, so it wouldn't even be on the motor.

Please give a list of everything needed to balance an engine. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Scales to weigh the pistons, piston rods and pins and a dremel or die grinder to remove material to get the weights exact. The pressure plate is attached to Flywheel that is attached to the crank on the back of the motor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh yeah, you're right about the pressure plate, D'oh! I'm just trying to figure out what else I need so i can send the motor to get balanced. So the only parts they need are the pressure plate, flywheel, crank, rods, pistons and piston rings? will they need the balance shaft? they don't need the cam? Sorry, but i've never had this done before.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Actually they should not nee the came because there is nothing for them to do with it. Honestly I dont see the need for the presssure plate or fly wheel to balance either.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Danger Dude said:
Scales to weigh the pistons, piston rods and pins and a dremel or die grinder to remove material to get the weights exact. The pressure plate is attached to Flywheel that is attached to the crank on the back of the motor.
aren't the heavy-metal weights drilled and pressed in with no grinding on internally balanced motors?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts