Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner of my 67 Mustang replace the original 289 ci engine with a 1979 302 ci. Since the numbers do not match, I am thinking about building up the engine. I don’t have a lot of cash or horsepower. What would you recommend as a cost effective additions to this engine to add a little muscle?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Racing cowboy58 is correct about the intake part but you can't start at the carbourator. You need to start with the intake manifold to prevent flooding. Possibley one may want to get the heads waxed first, depending on how far you want to go with your project, muscle car. E-mail me for more info.

If you can, go back to the 289. Not only will this keep your classic in its vintage it was a much better motor. 302 mice are known for intollerance to heat and knocking into an all out blown motor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are many things you can do to increase horsepower but you have to be careful to use the correct parts so you don't end up wasting your time and money. If you are going to use the stock heads and cam than you are limeted to how big the carburator and intake you use. You will probably get all the power possible on a stock 302 with a 2 bbl. carb. If you put a carb that is too big on the engine you will just be wasteing fuel. I recommend you read the book "How to build Horsepower, Methods for building horsepower in any engine" By David Vizard. It is very imformative. I bought it Borders Books for $18.95. When it comes to building and customizing engines it is best to study as many sorces as you can get your hands on. The best methods will show up in many different places and in the long run you will have the best engine and power for the money you can afford.

NITRUOS IS NOT THE ANSWER. For nitrous you will need forged pistons, new conecting rods and a forged crankshaft. That is $1500 in parts right there. so for horsepower on a budget nitrous is not the answer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you're low on the cash scale, focus first on the intake and carburation. The stock Ford parts of the late 70s pretty much choke the life out of the engine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
a small 50 horse nitrous unit, cheap and inexpensive. Just make sure you add a little extra fuel or you will burn up your pistons. Remember this..hot rods break and they're not cheap to fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts